First class Mail vs First Class Package rates

bebebarlow
Contributor
Contributor

I use PayPal for my shipping.  Most of the time first class is more reasonable for me than media. 

PayPal won't allow you to use regular first class, it is just not available.  They toss you into First Class Package and you have to get Delivery confirmation. 

Did you know the package had to be 3/4" thick ? If it isn't then the post office will send it back to you.

Delivery confirmation is ideal for positive tracking of your item.  It really got there i have proof!.  But you can't just use Delivery confirmation on a letter it has to be First Class Parcel.   Now the only way to do this is to be one packing peanut in the envelop so it meets the mailing criteria.  

PayPal is making extra money by having us print our postage.   one positive is we don't have to stand in line.  The USPS site looks better all the time.  Now if I can only print first class.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

jfbct
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using paypal to print postage on first class mail  and I get the .19 delivery confirmation. The package was 3/4" thick but it only weighed .3 ounces  Just yesterday a customer contacted me and told me her postoffice made her pay an additional $3.40 to upgrade her to priorty mail, because you can only get a delivery confirmation with priorty.

I had to give her a refund because she was so upset, and I cannot blame her. I called USPS online and they also said there is no option to getting a delivery confirmation on first class and they knew nothing of the paypal shipping.    So who do I call about this? Pitney Bowes?. meantime, when I calculate the postage, they charge more on paypal then USPS.  .3 on USPS cost $1.22 and here is costs $1.56 (not a lot of money but if their postage is not going to be accepted, what is the point of getting it here?)

Login to Me Too

bebebarlow
Contributor
Contributor

I was told to put a peanut into the envelop to make it thicker.  What I have done is weight it and, of course, you will be short a few pennies on postage. So I make a trip to the post office pay the remainer of the first class and have a receipt that shows payment I sent it.  There is a zealous new employee working at my PO and I was told over 30 items get bounced each day!  I was not told this was for only priority and with priority you get confirmation free.

Login to Me Too

jfbct
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your response. I have been on the phone with the USPS and paypal.  I am sure it was at least 3/4" but if it get squashed it can become thinner since it mostly tissue papers. I just found it strange that the USPS I called again says you cannot even get click n ship to print first class therefore you cannot get an online delivery confirmation. They tell me to call paypal. I called Paypal and they were nice and actually very helpful, we concluded it was a small struggling postoffice measuring everything to get monies and it could have been the 3/4" thing.

I research again at the usps and the correct term is actually first class package "even though its in an envelope"

and it does state you can get delivery confirmation but you have to buy it at the postoffice.  The problem I had was probably some mean postal person.

Login to Me Too

bebebarlow
Contributor
Contributor

I have sent booklets with a peanut (yes, 1 packing peanut) edged between pages.  PayPal allow one to print 1st class package with confirmation delivery.  I sold 1 hankie and had to mail it 1st class parcel only because I wanted confirmation delivery.  Winners are not happy with the cost of 1st class parcel.  There are times when I know click and ship is less expensive than PayPal.  who is profiting here?  It will come to a point where the little guy can't sell on ebay to make a profit with all hands out saying pay me pay me. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.