FRAUDULANT ATTEMPTS VIA EMAIL

corbinphotos
Contributor
Contributor

I just  recieved several emails saying that the buyer has deposited the money. The emails ARE fake since they are NOT from a paypal.com email address. The emails look like they are from paypal but they are NOT. Look at the headers of the email to make sure they ARE from paypal. If there is any email addresses that is not a paypal.com address then the email IS fake. Full headers might need to be enabled in preferences. Yahoo headers are usually enabled with the link in the bottom right corner of the email. The header info will look like a bunch of mumbo jumbo which is just routing info. My emails are from a gmail.com account but at first glance look to be from paypal.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusiness/bizmail/spam/spam-27.html is a link to a page that tells how to view headers.

In Thunderbird the full headers can be seen by clicking the + in the left side of the panel divider above the email.

****DO NOT SEND ANYTHING UNTIL DEPOSIT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT****

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yup, this sort of scam happens.

You can also verify an email by forwarding it to spoof@paypal.com

Login to Me Too

corbinphotos
Contributor
Contributor

You can also verify an email by forwarding it to spoof@paypal.com

also I think that all suspect fraud emails should go to this email address

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.