Echecks

Lili
Contributor
Contributor

I don't care for echecks. How do I keep bidders from using this form of payment?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

foofighterubu
Contributor
Contributor

An e-check is electronically sent from one paypal account to another at no cost.

The transaction completion relies on the security of the BI+UYER's checking account.

so if you have the $$ in your bank, you'll have no problems with and e-check.

If you look at your payment set up options, you will find you can choose either e-check or Inatsnt Payments througfh payPal.

As  a SELLER, I will tell you that e-checks , based on my own exprience, mean a staller.

This is not 100% the case, of course, but e-checks for the seller are no security.

If the buyers checking accou8nt attached to payPal is deficient, the e-chack will sit foreve without clearing.

OR, the e-acheck can clear only to be snatched back again if there is an Insufficient Funds event with the buyer's bank AFTER the item is shipped.

For the buyer there is little or no danger that I know of, except that a bank problem can get you on the banned list of a seller you hoped to do more business with.

Instant payments are best, making sure your shipping address is confirmed and your bank account is verifies.

These mean security to the seller, and ebay has been horrible to sellers.

So we want all the security we can get.

From the seller point of view, I will say it is better to use INSTANT payments, but if you must use an e-check, it would go better if you communicate with your seller FIRST.

Communication and transparency in your information and circumstance can go a long was.

I really hope this helps.

God bless

Login to Me Too

ncnurse
Contributor
Contributor

You say you wanted to cancel the transaction.  Well....maybe you shouldn't buy something, click "commit to pay" unless you really want the item!!

I don't buy anything, period,  unless I intend to pay for it.  No second thoughts, etc.  To me, it's just like ebay says...don't commit to buy if you don't wanna buy it!

So, this makes echecks bad?  Don't think so.  I've NEVER had a problem with them.  I don't use them all the time, but the times I have used them have been without problem.......Also, I'm not sure why ebay doesn't let you cancel an echeck, but it seems simple.  Don't commit if you don't intend to pay....

Login to Me Too

foofighterubu
Contributor
Contributor

ncnurse

It's difficult to tell who anyone is replying to.

If yo are talking to me then p;ease read my pots.

I am a seller.

If YOU personally wanted to buy from me and you used an echek I would refund it and ask you to honor your agreement when you click "Complete sale" to send me Instant payment only.  All my auctions state that your bid is your agreement to the terms of my aurcions and one of those terms is that I ONLY accept paypal INSTANT payments.

Anyone can write an echec k with NO morney in their checking account to cover it.

A week can go by and the seller just has to wait of start the Non Paying Bidder process.

That will take another week.

It will take another week to make ebay believe that you have been stiffed when the bidder never respondes because he didn't have the money to buy in the fiorst place.

Some sellers might think it is ok to ship when and echeck is sent, but it is not.

You never kow if the check is good.

Most places that accept checks at check ouit, Sears, Penny's, Walmart, can scan a check just like a credit card or debit card and know whether or not you have the money to cover that check.

We have NO such security in accepting echec k on ebay.

And sellers get ripped off too many times to trust e4m more than once.

Login to Me Too

JohnnyJ
Contributor
Contributor

NCNURSE,

I guess you are missing the point.

Some people, are mischevious.  Some people's intent, is NOT to pay.

I agree that there are good people out there, and the majority of my Ebay sales or purchases are positive. Which is why I continue to use Ebay. However, on occasion there is the bad apple who ruins it for everyone.  As well, paypal is a great resource for when you need it, but their fees are outrageous. The hard part is that Paypal has what I need... and that is a service. I just wish THAT service, was better to the point they could handle the phone calls... and the requests.

Ever have to email the "Compliance Department"??  Ever have to start a resolution, to be notified it was 'started' under the wrong claim category so the seller won by default??  ... ever been so frustrated with Paypal you vowed you'd never use them again?!  ...well, I have... and here I still use them.  Like I said, supply... and demand, they've got me right where they want me.  (I should start a similar idea and beat them in their own game)

eChecks are okay if you've never been caught up in a scam, or negative situation with a bad buyer, or even just passing money person to person.  One reason, I'll use Western Union for my large transactions from the States to China....  so much cheaper, and easier. And there's a customer service number to call!  (imagine that).

And no, I couldn't cancel my own eCheck.  And now, my own bank won't even reverse my $81 dollars in fees. So I'm out the money, and have learned a tough mistake.  I too, won't accept eChecks... nor will I send them. I'd never want to put someone out in the delays it takes to get them the money. I don't want those delays... so why would I do the same to someone else?! And who doesn't use credit/debit these days?!  ... you kidding me? Really? If your not using credit/debit to secure your Paypal account, maybe those people should be sending money orders, or staying off auction sites!  ... seriously ...

Login to Me Too

foofighterubu
Contributor
Contributor

That's usually theule in my expeience as well, but the exception was a new buyer with a coperate job who was new to PayPal.

We discovered.... are you ready..... the DEFAULT SETTING for the buyer is ECHECK.

I had to look for something cheep to buy w/ free shipping to find this out.

Myy account, of course has always been set to instant payment.

When ebat was NEW there were no echecks... that I remember.

When I looked at the pay process (also something I haven't had to do in a while) U noticed that one could choose between instant payment or echeck.

He said his "echeck" option was PRE-SELECTED.

He inmmediately changed it and sent me payment.

He said he had done everything else , with other purchaseswaiting and waiting  becausae the seller was waiying for the echacj to clear. Instant payment mae a lot more sense to him.

But I do know what you mean.

When I get an echeck I refund it,

reinvoice emphicizing that I will accept instant payment only.

If it's a stall this is where they come clean.

If a scam this is where they will go away and you have to file the nasty reports and stuff.

THANKS eBay and PayPal for making that easier for the few who are not worth of the trust.

And for giving the rest a bad name.

Login to Me Too

foofighterubu
Contributor
Contributor

echecks , in my experience, are used by people who want to STALL payment because they don't have money to buyt now in the fiorts place.

In the past I have waited more than five days for an echeck to clear .

I cancel them on sight now.

I did this last night, and have communicated with a buyer who has yet to communicate back to me.

The buyer also stalled making payment.

Buyer has an unverified account.

May have an unconfirmed address.

The buyer has good feedback, but guess what.

Sellers can;t leave negative feedback if they get ripped off or the buyer is slow.

You can leave an appropriate comment but the feedback still counts as good.

The echeck is a great tool for crooks and another way the new feeBay ot dis- enfranchise every seller on ebay.

They can stall when they don't have money.

If they never get money they can still play because no one will know.

resolution center will not stop the crook from leaving the seller NEG feedback.

Neg feedback is never removed, only mutually withdrawn, but the comment remains.

No matter what, if the seller is robbed of a sale through an echeck issue or any other NPB issue. the feedback opportunity is always against the seller. 

The echeck disallow must be made available to ebay sellers!
 this policy needs to change to protect US.

I buy on ebay too.

And I never bid intending to stall until I have the funds available.

I use my verified and confirmed account.

When I bid I intend to buy and do so withing the stated policies of the seller as per theoir payment and shipping information.

I expect the same from my buyers.

If it can not be made fully secure then I will not accept an echek.

If an echeck can not transfer funds, without threat of BOUNCING , INSTANTLY into my paypal account then it is only another theft opportunity and a great tool for crooks.

Login to Me Too

foofighterubu
Contributor
Contributor

I refuse to accept 'em.

I refund and copy paste the  statement s which appear on ALL my auctions and ALL my invoices, "PayPal INSTANT payment ONLY"

and I reinvoice and ask for instant pyment.

My goal is always to work things out.

If I have no other choice I will file a Non Paying Bidder report.

Most time it is a mistake because apparently the default is set to echack and new fo;ks don t know the difference. 

Too often it is a scam or a stall.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.