Echecks

Lili
Contributor
Contributor

I don't care for echecks. How do I keep bidders from using this form of payment?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Lili-

On eBay (as you mentioned bidders), if you say you accept PayPal, you have to be willing to accept any form of PayPal payment.  The only exception to this is if you require immediate payment on Buy It Now fixed price listings.  If you use the require immediate payment option, a listing remains open until the buyer's funds post to your PayPal balance.  This requires them to make either a credit card or balance payment that immediately hits your PayPal balance.

However, for off-eBay transactions, you can set up a block for eCheck payments.  Go to your Profile, select Payment Receiving Preferences and check the appropriate box in the "Block the Following Payments" area, then Save.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

Lili
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, when I got to the portion where I could block the following payments, it also reads "NOTE:  You may not block echeck payments on ebay.  I'll go with your first option of requiring payment immediately with bin.  You were very helpful, thank you! 

Login to Me Too

foofighterubu
Contributor
Contributor

and now there is the new issue with BIN.

I used to be able to set the starting bid at ,say 9.99 " and the BIN at 10.

That did two things.

I could require immediate pay without making my buyers pay siginfiacantly more. (a cent)

and it insured that I didn't take a beating if some one bid way low with a .99 cent start bid.

NOW, I look like a greedy crook to buyers because I am asking for ten percent MORE in BIN, but that is a forced edict from ebay.

I don't want to list an item for 75 bucks and have to ask almost 8 for BIN.

The way I did it before kept me being ripped off and my buyers were pleased as punch.

Now.... echecks... BIN... selelrs can't leave neg feddback when appropriate....

why does ebay hate sellers so much?

Login to Me Too

foofighterubu
Contributor
Contributor

include the state,ment in my auctions as well as invoice info "paypal INSTANT payments ONLY , please."

And refund echecks when I occasionally get them.

Most recently I did this e xplainoing that I have had bad experiences with echecks and just don;t accept them any more.

This turned out to be a new ebayer, mature adult, dad. Nice fella.

New to both and wasn't sure how echeck was his default mode.

I sent instructions and all is well.

But I have had peole sen me an echeck and when I commuiniated the policy, was asked if they could wait a week to pay.

OR once an echeck took a very long time... longer than a week and I was never paid.

If the buyer is serious, then there should be no problem with immediate payment.

My experience is that almost all the peole I have sold to have been honest and good to communicate problems or needs.

But a few have rained  just as few miseries on me so that I refuse to accept an echeck.

I know ebay wants the buyer to be happy.

But when it is at the cost of the blood of the seller it is bad for all of ebay.

No sellers- no ebay.

without sellers thee is no need to have happy buyers.

maybe ebay will figiure out that sellers are not just important, but essential and worth treating better than they have been?

Thanks for your time and "listening ear".

Login to Me Too

ncnurse
Contributor
Contributor

Ya know, not everyone who pays with an echeck is a crook OR stalling.  I use it when my paypal balance is running low or I am waiting on a transfer to clear!  I pay IMMEDIATELY and my bank takes out the money the NEXT BUSINESS DAY.   So, I don't know what banks these stalling people use but my bank takes it out in the afternoon of the next day, period. 

It's really a pretty broad statement to say all people who use echecks are frauds, losers, whatever you said.  That's BS....and if you can't wait a few days for your money then I guess thats too bad for you.

There are a lot of people out there that don't have credit cards, debit cards, etc, or don't use them online unless there is absolutely no other way to pay.  I am the latter.  I don't use my credit card online at all, for anything, unless it's one of a FEW sites I trust and then I am still leery. 

People should think before they use broad generalizations about people --- especially when you've not got a clue.  MOST people are honest, it's the dishonest ones that ruin it for everyone else.

Login to Me Too

JohnnyJ
Contributor
Contributor

You've got to be kidding??

eChecks are the worst.

Not only did I, mistakenly hit the 'submit' button and realize I sent an eCheck... but then I realized I couldn't cancel it!!  And when I asked the recipient to cancel it, he went on and on and told me he did... or tried to, or even went as far as telling me he called Paypal to cancel it.  So, I had to trust him.... which was a mistake, because he came back telling me paypal told him he couldn't, nor could I... cancel the payment.

So, I immediately had to remove the funds from the account the eCheck was pulling from. Remove any 'overdraft' protection from that account as well.  This would ensure he didn't get the money... and tell me otherwise.

NOW...  I've got (3) charges of Insufficient Funds... totaling $81 dollars!

And you tell me eCheck is made for those who don't have credit cards, debit cards...etc?!?!  Come'on, I agree that it's used more as a "tactic", then it is as an option.

If it's so great, then give a sender the ability to cancel the eCheck.  Even with my own bank, I can put a stop payment on a check... or with American Express Money Orders, I can put a stop payment.  

WHY DOES PAYPAL NOT ALLOW a CANCELLATION of eCheck from the origination sender?!?!?  LAME!!!!

... I'm so over this kind of problem, and realizing what damage has been done when it's too late. Obviously the above was initially my own mistake.  But PayPal does not let you correct your own mistake.  What kind of BS is that??

*signed*

Angry John

Login to Me Too

jeffason
Contributor
Contributor

if you call paypal you can cancel an e-check ( if you are the sender )

Login to Me Too

Lili
Contributor
Contributor

I do remember having the option to accept or refuse the echeck.  I didn't refuse because I didn't want to go back and submit the sold item again at auction.  

Login to Me Too

jemiro
New Community Member

I'm going to be pay thru a Echeck for first time so anyone can tell me if the is a secure way to go.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.