Declining International Sales

Bexter
Contributor
Contributor

I have a new website and a new online store.  I don't want to ship outside the United States.  What setting do I need to check? Do I just NOT put anything under International Shipping?  This all seems much more complicated than I had ever imagined! 

Any help is appreciated.  I'm sure I'll have more questions later.  Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

How To Turn off International Shipping:

Under Selling Preferences, select Shipping Calculations.

The first section is Domestic Shipping Methods - This is where you setup your shipping tables for US. Also make sure you check the shipping override to Yes so you can override any shipping in your Button HTML Code if desired. Note, you can't block shipping to a particular state. If that state is not listed with an amount in the shipping table, then shipping defaults to zero. The shipping table/calculations are only designed to create a shipping amount/method and not block an area.  If there is a particular state or states you do not intend to ship to, create a separate shipping method and include that state or states.  Next, you need to make the fees extremely high for that method.  This will discourage anyone from making a purchase.   The most important thing to do is insure you have a clear shipping policy on your website explaining your rules and where you will ship or not ship.

The next section is for International - Since you don't want to ship outside the US, you should delete any methods that are there by default. Also make sure you have the setting for blocking payments from users who "Have non-US Accounts" checked in your Account Profile. The setting is located under Payment Receiving Preferences. The reason you need to ensure that this is checked is because there is still a dropdown option at checkout for cutomers to select a country. Although customers can select countries, when it comes to checkout time, they cannot proceed. At the present, you can't modifiy or remove this option because it's part of the shipping calculations. The techs who monitor the forum agree it should not be there if you don't have international shipping set up in your profile. One of the techs did pass this observation along as a feature request to the product development team. It makes sense not to have the option there if you don't want it.

For more information on shipping and button variables, download Website Payments Standard Integration Guide from here.

If all of this is a bit much, your other option would be to switch to a 3rd party shopping cart.  Third party carts usually have more flexible shipping options as compared to using PayPal's standard cart.  You can find a list of 3rd party carts here.

Regards,

skier

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

How To Turn off International Shipping:

Under Selling Preferences, select Shipping Calculations.

The first section is Domestic Shipping Methods - This is where you setup your shipping tables for US. Also make sure you check the shipping override to Yes so you can override any shipping in your Button HTML Code if desired. Note, you can't block shipping to a particular state. If that state is not listed with an amount in the shipping table, then shipping defaults to zero. The shipping table/calculations are only designed to create a shipping amount/method and not block an area.  If there is a particular state or states you do not intend to ship to, create a separate shipping method and include that state or states.  Next, you need to make the fees extremely high for that method.  This will discourage anyone from making a purchase.   The most important thing to do is insure you have a clear shipping policy on your website explaining your rules and where you will ship or not ship.

The next section is for International - Since you don't want to ship outside the US, you should delete any methods that are there by default. Also make sure you have the setting for blocking payments from users who "Have non-US Accounts" checked in your Account Profile. The setting is located under Payment Receiving Preferences. The reason you need to ensure that this is checked is because there is still a dropdown option at checkout for cutomers to select a country. Although customers can select countries, when it comes to checkout time, they cannot proceed. At the present, you can't modifiy or remove this option because it's part of the shipping calculations. The techs who monitor the forum agree it should not be there if you don't have international shipping set up in your profile. One of the techs did pass this observation along as a feature request to the product development team. It makes sense not to have the option there if you don't want it.

For more information on shipping and button variables, download Website Payments Standard Integration Guide from here.

If all of this is a bit much, your other option would be to switch to a 3rd party shopping cart.  Third party carts usually have more flexible shipping options as compared to using PayPal's standard cart.  You can find a list of 3rd party carts here.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Bexter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Skier,

You answered my question!  I was confused because the choice of country menu was still displayed, and I had not chosen any method for international shipping.  I was thinking I would be shipping for FREE to all these countries!  I will put a statement on my website concerning domestic shipping ONLY.  It does look like the country menu being displayed  (when one is using domestic shipping only) could use some redesign....at least for us newbies!

Thanks for your speedy response.  It relieves my mind!

Login to Me Too

neetje
Contributor
Contributor

I have about 10 countries I ship to but I just received an order that's not included on that list and now realize that I have to ship to that country for free 😞

How do you exclude all other countries except the 10 that I set up?

Renee

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Seems you did not read my previous post.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.