Credit payment fees

gedit
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

In the fee section it is stated that the money sender can choose to pass fees assessed if paid with credit card, to the receiver. In my case someone won an auction on e-bay and apparently paid with his credit card. I, obviously have no control on what the buyer chooses to do with the fee (whether he/she can really choose to pass it on that's one thing. But if th choice is there, then this “choice” is really unnecessary, because guess what!? who will choose to assume the fees anyway???). So I guess he "chose" to pass it on to me. I think it should be the other way around. Whoever pays with a credit card should pay the "convenience" fees of using credit card on Paypal, whereas we, the sellers already pay all sorts of fees for listing, for closing price, for reserved, etc. and of course the credit card's fees as well... This is not reasonable at all. Too many fees don't leave much room for some profits. Paypal needs to rethink its strategy...

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

smallHOST
Contributor
Contributor

You are not paying anywhere near what a legitimate business pays for fees related to credit card processing. Paypal does not charge you a setup fee, equipment lease fee, or monthly fee. Try inquiring about a real merchant account through a provider such as Merchant Warehouse who have the guaranteed lowest rates, and you will find that you are actually getting the better deal with Paypal. If you don't think you have it good, try calling them 1.866.660.1296. After talking to them and calculating the total cost to you, there may be a moment where you realize you already have the best deal for your meager monthly credit card processing dollar amount.

If you haven't taken even 2 seconds to explore other options, quit whining.

P.S. Would you like to pay an extra 3% on every purchase you made with a credit card? Didn't think so...

Login to Me Too

ilemauzer
Contributor
Contributor

Don't merchants and business outside of Ebay, have a choice as to whether or not to accept credit card payments?  The majority of people who buy from Ebay  use Paypal as payment, there isn't  a choice of what type of payment to use.  There's Paypal, Credit/debit, Atm, Propay, echeck.  In some states it is against their state law to refuse cash payment for anything.  I do not recommend cash payment online.  If someone wants to send me cash for something I'm selling on Ebay, do I break my  state law by refusing or do I break Ebay's rules.?  I know it's an Ebay question but things are a bit more complicated between buyers and sellers, than your simplistic answers.

Login to Me Too

ilemauzer
Contributor
Contributor

My reply was not directed at Amanda.  She isn't rude or ignorant.

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi gedit,

The ability for the sender to choose to pay the fee is reserved for Personal Transfers. Purchase fees are always charged to the recipient.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.