Confirm pay pal 4-digit code

uffda
Contributor
Contributor

When Pay Pal is awaiting the 4-digit code after changing a credit card linked to the account, is payment to the seller being held until then?  I made a purchase yesterday and changed the card linked to my account.  Now I'm waiting for the Pay Pal code to show up on my credit card account so I can confirm it, and I'm concerned because it appears I haven't paid the seller.  Is this normal?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Seems YOU created an unusual situation.   The original intent was to verify one credit card and now you have changed to another.  Basically you will have to start the verification process over again.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

uffda
Contributor
Contributor

Is there something more to the verification process than waiting for this 4-digit code to show up on my credit card statement and sending in the code to my PayPal account?  I guess I don't know what the problem is--if there even is one.  I've never had this type of hassle with PayPal before.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi uffda-

Telling us the four digit code that appears on your card statement is a way for us to verify that the PayPal account holder is also the card owner and has access to the documentation for it.

We do something similar for bank accounts to confirm that the person who put the bank on file has access to their financial records as well.

Since we can't deal face to face with our customers, think of it as an online equivalent of a merchant asking for your photo ID at the checkout counter to confirm you are the same person whose name is on the check or credit card.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

uffda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jason,

Thank you!  I definitely appreciate the security that the code confirmation provides--it was just a little confusing.  The code showed up on my statement today, so I was able to confirm.

My question now is:  Will the purchase I made on Sunday be automatically paid, since I specified PayPal?  Or do I need to pay it again?  I don't want to duplicate the payment, but I don't want to delay paying the seller.  I'm not having much luck finding answers from that automated help process.

Are you able to answer my question?

Thanks!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi uffda-

Check your PayPal account history or transaction details (bottom of the page when you first log in).  If you see a completed status for the transaction, the payment should have gone through. If you don't see a payment, then you'd need to send one.

I don't have a single right answer here as some accounts do get a sending limit prior to being asked to confirm their identity further.  That means that you might have been given the ability to send money prior to confirming with the code.

Thanks,

Jason 

Login to Me Too

uffda
Contributor
Contributor

Jason:  Thanks very much for all your help!!  I sincerely appreciate it!

Login to Me Too

mattchew61

Hi--paypal charged me 1.95 but did not include a  digit number. This is all that the line said: "POS DEBIT PAYPAL INC 402-935-7733 CA". Where is the four digit number in that string of 10 digits at the end?? 

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

Nadim
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I have a debit card and I don't receive any print monthly statement from my bank .. I have only an online access to my account and this debit card statement. Pay Pal charged me $ 1,95  last October and my online bank statement does not provide any PayPal 4-digit code numbers I've tried submitting the first and last 4 digits from the string of 8 numbers associated with this transaction and now have been informed I have only 1 more attempt. I need to confirm my card ASAP.   Any help?
Login to Me Too

Nadim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a debit card and I don't receive any print monthly statement from my bank .. I have only an online access to my account and this debit card statement. Pay Pal charged me $ 1,95  last October and my online bank statement does not provide any PayPal 4-digit code numbers I've tried submitting the first and last 4 digits from the string of 8 numbers associated with this transaction and now have been informed I have only 1 more attempt. I need to confirm my card ASAP.   Any help?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.