Chargeback and buyer KEEPS merchandise

Househound
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen MANYl reports on another forum of buyers filing chargebacks w/ their credit card co's, buyer being refunded, yet being allowed to KEEP the merchandise.  Sounds fraudulant to me.  And of course no Seller protection, so seller is out mechandise PLUS the $$$.

Wondering if anyone else has heard of this, experienced this.  And what a seller can do to fight this?

Once word gets out, this is going to become a HUGE and simple scam for fraudulant buyers.  And sellers are going to be left hung out to dry.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

Househound
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Fuchsia.. I hear ya, girl.  These type charge backs are happening more and more.  Many sellers are losing their money and their merchandise, without any source of recourse.

Login to Me Too

luvncole
New Community Member

Ok.....we had a chargeback filed on us. I provided information to paypal, they said that they are disputing the buyer's request to reverse the payment. I guess that means they are "fighting" for us. However the cc company reversed the charges. Do they also hold those funds until the claim is settled, or does this guy get those funds knocked off of his statement? Any thoughts on how long for the cc company to take with their processing? Any experience with American Express? I had no idea this guy used American Express. Live and learn? I'm out $2,500.

Login to Me Too

pebbles
Contributor
Contributor

It happened to me 2 days ago when I found out PayPal deducted total amount from the balance and stated " the funds not available while transaction being reviewed by Ebay ".There is NO open case in PayPal resolution center and Ebay ruled in my favor on the same day that the petty mean-spirited buyer filed the false claim against me .It was all for $.99 plus little mailling cost.I mean,how could PayPal automoatically reversed the charge without having the buyer FIRST RETURN the merchandise.This is CRIMINAL ACT,we seller(s) lost money on shiping & merchandise.

I have been communicating with Ebay resolution center personnel,they haven't been helpful and shoved the responsiblity to PayPal.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@luvncole wrote:

Ok.....we had a chargeback filed on us. I provided information to paypal, they said that they are disputing the buyer's request to reverse the payment. I guess that means they are "fighting" for us. However the cc company reversed the charges. Do they also hold those funds until the claim is settled, or does this guy get those funds knocked off of his statement? Any thoughts on how long for the cc company to take with their processing? Any experience with American Express? I had no idea this guy used American Express. Live and learn? I'm out $2,500.

The CC company almost always reverses the payment until they've reviewed the case.

It's irrelevant whether they hold the funds or not, but I don't think they do - it invites abuse, as some buyers use the process to "buy time" if they can't afford the payments.  A chargeback reduces what they have to pay and buys them 60 days of free credit.

Generally, the process can take up to 75 days, so be prepared for a wait.

You have other options - you can file mail fraud charges against the person an USPS will send a postal inspector around to investigate the case.  The inspectors are scary people and they have more powers than the police.  They will oftem "find" a missing parcel where other methods have failed.  Worth a try, in my book.

Login to Me Too

pebbles
Contributor
Contributor

an update to my situation

PayPal reverted the funds back to my account balance.No refund to that petty malicious SOB

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.