Changing primary payment method?

docduko
New Community Member

I was just hoping someone could help me figure out how to change my primary payment method. It seems to be set by default to my bank account, but i want to pay via a card instead. Is there some way to change the primary/default payment method? Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

rmbo47
Contributor
Contributor

You can't. I've been trying in vain to do this myself. PayPal simply won't allow it. And their help topics are freakin' useless. They evade and steer you to things you don't want, but you CANNOT GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER OUT OF THEM about this. It's their "dirty little secret". Once they have your bank account on file, that's it. The best you can do is change the payment method every time you use PayPal. 

I have a reasonably high balance in my linked account and I always worry I'll wake up and read how PayPal got hacked. Or some tosser in their data center left a hard drive on a bus seat and it contained thousands of users' account information. Hey - if it can happen to MI-5 it can happen to PayPal!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You paypal balance is always first, then your bank account.

You can't change it, you have to do it for every payment.

Login to Me Too

jersey828
New Community Member

Click Profile at the top of the page.

Click the Pay List link in the Financial Information column.

Click on the biller in the Merchant box.

Click the Change link to change your backup funding source.

Login to Me Too

JohnnyBravo
New Community Member

Alternatively, to change/block payment method for all vendors in one go, click the 'Set Available Funding Sources' once the list of merchants is displayed.

Login to Me Too

swobo
Contributor
Contributor

Click on profile.

Click on credit card under the financial column.

Click the edit button for the desired credit card.

Click the box at the top that says you want to make it the primary payment method.

Re add your credit card security code.

Click save.

Login to Me Too

acohn
Contributor
Contributor

swobo,

Can you verify that you have tested this?  The language on the web page makes it seem like all you are doing is making a particular credit card the first backup funding source *after* your balance and your linked bank account, if you have either. My understanding about the sequence in which PP funds your transactions is this (all from sections 3.2 and 3.3 of the PP User Agreement):

1.      Balance
2.      Instant Transfer from the Account Holder’s bank account (if set up as a payment source)
3.      PayPal Buyer Credit, Bill Me Later or PayPal Plus Credit Card (if set up as a payment source)
4.      Debit card on file
5.      Credit card on file
6.      eCheck

(continued in next message)

Login to Me Too

acohn
Contributor
Contributor

As others have indicated, you can usually change your payment method each time during checkout, on the "Review Your Payment" page. You can also change your default payment method in other limited circumstanes:

•  When making recurring payments: If you set up a Recurring or Automatic Payment, or authorizes a merchant to charge your Account on your behalf,  you may select a Preferred Payment Method for all future payments to the merchant. (The only credit product that PayPal supports for recurring payments, though, is the PayPal Plus Credit Card.)

•  Use of a PayPal credit product or co-marketed credit or debit product: If you have a PayPal credit product (PayPal Plus Mastercard, Bill Me Later, PayPal Buyer Credit), or a specially-designated credit or debit product issued by a PayPal marketing partner, you may select it as the preferred payment method for all future payments made through PayPal.  This puts the PP credit product in the #2 spot for funding methods.

•  If you select “Quick Pay” for PayPal Mobile payments, you will not be able to select a Preferred Payment Method for future PayPal Mobile payments made with Quick Pay.

PayPal will always use a PayPal Account Holder’s Balance first, even if the Account Holder selects a different payment method for a purchase, unless you've indicated that a PayPal credit product as your preferred funding method.

In my experience, if you want PP taking money from your credit card instead of your bank account, either don't link your bank account in the first place, or change your funding method on each transaction.  Be aware, though, that in the U.S., at least, your account cannot be in Verified status without linking your bank account.  A Verified account status removes a lot of limits (sending, receiving, withdrawing) on your account.

Login to Me Too

karlallin1

I need help changing my payment acc. (bank )  to my credit card

Login to Me Too

rmbo47
Contributor
Contributor

You cannot change from a bank account to a credit card as your default payment method. PayPal simply does not allow that. What you can do is register a credit card as a secondary payment method and then change your payment method for each transaction you make with PayPal, on a payment-by-payment basis.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.