Can't send payment to Hong Kong

jcers
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to send a payment to Hong Kong seller from eBay and I always get error #602. Now here is where it gets interesting. ebay says it's paypal's fault and It is. When I try to pay directly on paypal Its says that the transaction can't be made when I do "Pay for eBay items". I asked the seller for a 'Manual Invoice" like paypal agent told me to do and the seller told me to send the payment to his email address. I did so but this time I get the same paypal generic error message saying that the transaction can't be completed. I have followed everything paypal reps tell me to do and I can't send payments to Hong Kong! The paypal reps say that there is not even an error in their system about the failed payment. Someone please tell me im not the only one having this problem.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If it's the botnet problem, I could see why Paypal isn't getting notification of an error - Apparently, this net ( it's the Pushdo botnet and it's pretty big, apparently) is just flooding Paypal and several other companies with 'hang-up' calls - it must be stressing the servers something fierce.

I don't know about the merchant banking side of paypal at all, so  can't comment on that possibility.

You mentioned that the sellers wouldn't send you a manual invoice - I would say that you have ample reason to contact them again and tell them to send you an invoice or they won't get paid.  I suppose it's possible that the original ebay/paypal/Hong Kong link could have been compromised somehow - a new invoice with a new link might fix the problem.

If it doesn't, I think you may just have to write these sales off or use a postal money order.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Are you getting this error showing AS you are trying to make the payment or are you getting notification in a separate email that there's been an error?

If it's the latter, send the email to spoof@paypal.com and see if it's fake.

Login to Me Too

jcers
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying!

In detail,

I go where ebay shows the items I need to pay. I click on make a payment with paypal (the only option they offer). Then they ask for the log-in info. Right after I click on log-in I get the "Sorry, you've hit a speed bump!" message with error #602 on the lower right corner.

When I try to pay using the paypal site directly I get "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" and a general paypal message telling me to try later with no error codes. I get this even if I try to send the payment using the seller's email. I got two items with Hong Kong sellers and they are the only ones I'm having this issue with. I even have sent money with paypal and paid for ebay items with no trouble at all. Is just Hong Kong?!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, from what I can gather from the paypal help center,  this is a password problem.

Go to www.paypal.com and try to sign in to your account that way.

If you can't, your Paypal account may have been hijacked.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If the regular signin works fine, then it's just with the Hong Kong sellers and the reason for that could be almost anything.

For example, Hong Kong is really China right now, and China is very upset with the USA to the point that they're retailating economically.

It's a bit of a stretch, but this might be one of the ways that they're doing it.

It's possible that the Hong Kong sellers both got their email addresses wrong, but 2 seperate sellers at the same time is a bit of a stretch.

Paypal had been undergoing a bot-net attack at the end of January, perhaps that has something to do with it (especially if the botnet center is in Hong Kong)..

The possibilities are endless.

Login to Me Too

jcers
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like a possible explanation as to why this is happening. What still bothers me is that paypal is not getting an error of any kind each time I try to make a payment. Very odd.

@surplusdealdude wrote:

If the regular signin works fine, then it's just with the Hong Kong sellers and the reason for that could be almost anything.

For example, Hong Kong is really China right now, and China is very upset with the USA to the point that they're retailating economically.

It's a bit of a stretch, but this might be one of the ways that they're doing it.

It's possible that the Hong Kong sellers both got their email addresses wrong, but 2 seperate sellers at the same time is a bit of a stretch.

Paypal had been undergoing a bot-net attack at the end of January, perhaps that has something to do with it (especially if the botnet center is in Hong Kong)..

The possibilities are endless.

Login to Me Too
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If it's the botnet problem, I could see why Paypal isn't getting notification of an error - Apparently, this net ( it's the Pushdo botnet and it's pretty big, apparently) is just flooding Paypal and several other companies with 'hang-up' calls - it must be stressing the servers something fierce.

I don't know about the merchant banking side of paypal at all, so  can't comment on that possibility.

You mentioned that the sellers wouldn't send you a manual invoice - I would say that you have ample reason to contact them again and tell them to send you an invoice or they won't get paid.  I suppose it's possible that the original ebay/paypal/Hong Kong link could have been compromised somehow - a new invoice with a new link might fix the problem.

If it doesn't, I think you may just have to write these sales off or use a postal money order.

Login to Me Too

jcers
Contributor
Contributor

I think is some sort of attack too. Might be other reason too.  I recently got some items from a company that is located on Hong Kong but I just found out that the site is located on India! I was able to pay for the items using paypal but I remembered that India is banned from paypal... Maybe Hong Kong is getting mixed up with some Indian IP addresses. I bet there is some massive IP blocking going on.

Anyway, like you said the possibilities are endless to count. At least I have an idea as to why this is happening. I will try once more by asking the sellers to send me a manual invoice and then I will cancel the transactions if there is no success.

Thanks a lot for your help!

@surplusdealdude wrote:

Login to Me Too

jcers
Contributor
Contributor

I can log in correctly into paypal.com. I was told by an ebay agent that I needed to make sure that my ebay and paypal emails matched. They all match and the addresses too. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with computers and issues like this but nothing I can do on my side is fixing this. The only thing I can think of is that my paypal account is also a merchant account and that is triggering something on paypal when I try to do business with a Hong Kong seller.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I mention that because 'Error 602' is a password error.

Have you tried getting into your Paypal account recently?  Any problems doing so?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.