Buying Concert Tickets

markw18
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I was on craigslist and I'm wondering if it we legit to buy tickets from a seller that has a paypal account that I can send money to pay for my items. How do I know when he gets my payment that he will send the items? Can I cancel a payment to him if he doesnt send the items? Is there a way to get my money back if I never recieve the items? Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

skier
Advisor
Advisor

The seller should send you either a money request or an email invoice.  If you simply send the seller money, you won't have any proof of the purchase.

Suggest being aware of scams as Craig's List has as many scammers as they have honest people.

Also suggest you carefully read PayPal's User Agreement as to what protection is available for Ticket purchases.

Scams:

One of the most common red flags is that the buyer wants to sent you the money via your PayPal email address. Normally as the seller, you send the buyer an email invoice or the purchase is processed through your web page or site. Also, if plan to be a seller, you should have either a Premier or Business Account. You will run into limitations trying to use a Personal Account.

Next common red flag, the buyer wants the item delivered to another country and recommends a specific shipping service for you to use

Another red flag, buyer offers to pay more than you're asking or is requesting shipment ASAP to an unconfirmed address or another state or country.

Beware when the seller wants you to send him the money for a purchase but you are asked to send the money as a "Gift".
This means that the seller is trying to avoid paying the transaction fees and also makes it hard for you to prove you actually purchased an item.

You can protect yourself in several ways:
Do not sell to non-US PayPal Accounts.
Require a "Confirmed Address" meaning that the shipping and billing address must be the same.
Opt to not accept eChecks.

These are all options you can enable from within your PayPal Account Profile.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.