Buyers abusing "not as described" to force refund when it's really buyers remorse.

chukkerm8

BUYERS ABUSE POLICY

Sellers should be very careful when describing items and only ship out things as described. But how about when buyers try to force the seller to accept a return by claiming not as described when its just buyer's remorse?

Case in point; I sold a wallet described as new in the box recently. It WAS new in the box.

At the time I had 100% feedback with glowing remarks regarding the condition of the items I had sold, some new, some used, some considerably older. I'm sensitive to this because as a buyer I have been taken by a few sellers who did not divulge the flaws in their auction...no one reumbursed me then either, despite my claims through PayPal.

Anyhow, I have a no return policy which is clearly stated in the auction. I take good clear photos of the item and fully inspect and descibe it. I request that ALL questions are asked prior to bidding.  Buyer asked none.

Upon receiving payment, I carefully packed the wallet in the box and shipped it out. It was in new, perfect condition when it went out.

The buyer contacted me when she received the item and claimed it was crushed, damaged, sticky stuff all over it and it was scratched, NOT NEW, etc, you get the point.  Total drama. I asked myself how that could have happened via shipping as it was personally inspected and packed.... It was immaculate when it went out. It was in a waterproof envelope wrapped in many layers of protective tissue. I knew this couldn't happen on it's own. I mean sticky stuff and scratches all over the wallet inside a box wrapped in tissue and waterproof envelope?? come on.  This stunk of buyers remorse.

I reminded her of the no return policy, restated that the wallet was in new condition when sent and offered to replace the outer (gift) box, with no response from the buyer. Instead, she opened a claim with Ebay. I responded to the Ebay inquery and told them I had sent a new wallet as described to her and don't know how anything like what she's claming could happen.

Their latest action is to have her send me back the wallet for a refund. They never asked me for proof of condition (hello, auction photos?) or demonstrated that she had offered proof of her claim. I have thirteen years of 100% postitive activity with Ebay over 1,400 transactions; she has a year and 43 transactions and has complained about other people. I have sold many other things of higher value with glowing reviews. What incentive do I have to lie? None. It doesn't make sense. I could sell it with flaws if it had any.. I would list them and get on with it.

so...

I ask you, how is this policy fair? I sent her a perfect wallet. She decided for whatever reason she didn't want it so she gets to force me to fully refund her despite the no return no refund policy clearly stated in my auction by simply lying about the condition in which it was received.

In addition, I am concerned that with such an unscrupulous buyer,  it is possible that she may damage the wallet before she sends it back just to justify her claim. Then I will be out the money AND the wallet to sell to someone else who would be very happy with it.

Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@Dr_Watson wrote:

I just had a buyer claim that the laptop I sent him was a BLOCK OF WOOD in a big box.  My paypal account was debited the amount of the laptop, and he claims to have sent the block of wood back to me.  How do I fight that?  I had delivery confirmation and insurance on it, and had pictures of the laptop working.  Sold two the same week and the other the buyer wrote better than expected.  I think I'm about to lose out on a lot of money.

Contact the Post Office Postal Inspectors and fill out a form for "rifling and theft".

They'll investigate.  They have more power than the police and they have absolutely NO sense of humour.  If they find that laptop at the customer's address, it's called mail fraud, which is a Federal offense.

But don't tell the customer - let it be a surprise.....Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@chukkerm8 wrote:

BUYERS ABUSE POLICY

Sellers should be very careful when describing items and only ship out things as described. But how about when buyers try to force the seller to accept a return by claiming not as described when its just buyer's remorse?

Case in point; I sold a wallet described as new in the box recently. It WAS new in the box.

At the time I had 100% feedback with glowing remarks regarding the condition of the items I had sold, some new, some used, some considerably older. I'm sensitive to this because as a buyer I have been taken by a few sellers who did not divulge the flaws in their auction...no one reumbursed me then either, despite my claims through PayPal.

Anyhow, I have a no return policy which is clearly stated in the auction. I take good clear photos of the item and fully inspect and descibe it. I request that ALL questions are asked prior to bidding.  Buyer asked none.

Upon receiving payment, I carefully packed the wallet in the box and shipped it out. It was in new, perfect condition when it went out.

The buyer contacted me when she received the item and claimed it was crushed, damaged, sticky stuff all over it and it was scratched, NOT NEW, etc, you get the point.  Total drama. I asked myself how that could have happened via shipping as it was personally inspected and packed.... It was immaculate when it went out. It was in a waterproof envelope wrapped in many layers of protective tissue. I knew this couldn't happen on it's own. I mean sticky stuff and scratches all over the wallet inside a box wrapped in tissue and waterproof envelope?? come on.  This stunk of buyers remorse.

I reminded her of the no return policy, restated that the wallet was in new condition when sent and offered to replace the outer (gift) box, with no response from the buyer. Instead, she opened a claim with Ebay. I responded to the Ebay inquery and told them I had sent a new wallet as described to her and don't know how anything like what she's claming could happen.

Their latest action is to have her send me back the wallet for a refund. They never asked me for proof of condition (hello, auction photos?) or demonstrated that she had offered proof of her claim. I have thirteen years of 100% postitive activity with Ebay over 1,400 transactions; she has a year and 43 transactions and has complained about other people. I have sold many other things of higher value with glowing reviews. What incentive do I have to lie? None. It doesn't make sense. I could sell it with flaws if it had any.. I would list them and get on with it.

so...

I ask you, how is this policy fair? I sent her a perfect wallet. She decided for whatever reason she didn't want it so she gets to force me to fully refund her despite the no return no refund policy clearly stated in my auction by simply lying about the condition in which it was received.

In addition, I am concerned that with such an unscrupulous buyer,  it is possible that she may damage the wallet before she sends it back just to justify her claim. Then I will be out the money AND the wallet to sell to someone else who would be very happy with it.

Any suggestions?

Anyhow, I have a no return policy which is clearly stated in the auction.

If you take Paypal, you take returns.  Period.  And language to the contrary is now a listing violation that can get your listings pulled if it's reported.

I request that ALL questions are asked prior to bidding

And some buyers won't.  It's part of the ebay selling experience, get used to it.

It's entirely possible that another sharp package cut or perforated the package and leaked sticky stuff all over your item.  The buyer could be right, or they could be lying.

Either way, they want to return it and by fighting it, you're just creating a dispute and a probable negative.

You have to learn to fight the battles that are worth fighting and choose the battles that you can win.  This instance is neither of those.

Hope you enjoy the black mark on your selling record that you'll get from the dispute and the neg that will lower your search standings, because that's what you're looking at.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.