Buyer Disputes

puzzledone
Contributor
Contributor

Why does paypal only allow one dispute per transaction? Is it not possible that there could be multiple disputes that arise during a purchase?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Usually, there's only one dispute that can arise, so Paypal makes buyers choose which basis to dispute on, otherwise some buyers would just keep disputing and disputing.

However, there are cases where a dispute starts out as an "Item not received", then the buyer finally gets the parcel and it turns out to be different than they ordered, or defective, or broken.

Then Paypal may allow the buyer to change the dispute to a "Not as described" dispute, but you have to phone Paypal and explain the circumstances.

They really do try to protect you, but you have to learn the system to take full advantage of it.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor
According to the PayPal "Help Center" information, the dispute reason can be changed from within the PayPal "Resolution Center"...

Can I change my reason for filing a dispute or claim?

Yes, sometimes. If you received an item after filing a non receipt dispute or claim and it was significantly not as described, you can change the reason.

Here's how to change the reason:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Resolution Center at the top of the page.
  3. Select Open Cases.
  4. Find your case and click View from the Action column.
  5. If you haven't escalated to a claim yet, click Change your reason for this dispute.
  6. If you've already escalated to a claim, click Change your reason for this claim.
  7. Follow the instructions provided.

When you change the reason for a dispute, you automatically escalate the dispute to a claim. This means that you're asking us to review your case and decide whether you're eligible for a refund. We reach a decision in most cases within 30 days.
Login to Me Too

puzzledone
Contributor
Contributor

While I do understand the posts received so far, they still do not fully address my concern. Firstly it is known to some buyers and sellers, and now I know it too, only one dispute per transaction is allowed by Paypal. If a buyer or Seller can only make one dispute wouldn’t that lead to some unscrupulous behavior by some people and companies? For example: A buyer has made a dispute at the beginning of a transaction for receiving an incorrect invoice and cannot contact seller or for whatever reason. Once that dispute is resolved no other disputes are accepted by Paypal so if there is a problem later i.e. with shipping or product being not as described, payment reversed or dead on arrival and so on, there appears to be no recourse for the buyer or seller. Surplusdealdude said in his reply “Then Paypal may allow the buyer to change the dispute to a "Not as described" dispute, but you have to phone Paypal and explain the circumstances They really do try to protect you, but you have to learn the system to take full advantage of it” I have looked into the help and disputes menus and read the blurbs about resolution of disputes but the information quoted above seems to be buried or within some obscure link or area of the Paypal website. Is this information a secret? Why not put it out there right in front at the beginning of the information about dispute resolutions, a step by step guide with all available options or choices? Now that being said we all know there cannot be an unlimited amount of disputes, it is just not cost effective or would not be productive in some cases, but one dispute? That just does not feel right. Paypal could for example allow one or two more disputes but with a limitation that it is at the sole discretion of Paypal to decide if the further dispute has merit. This information should be placed at the start of the disputes process so everyone can see and know what their options are and make a informed decision on how best to proceed. Also a link available in the resolution area of the site would be handy. Of course the Paypal suggestion about trying to resolve issues without involving Paypal at the very start should still apply, and everyone should make a good and reasonable effort to workout issues. Many times it’s just a simple miscommunication and paypal does not have to be involved. Maybe there is a learning curve to using Paypal but is Paypal a place where you should have a learning curve? Should we have to research so intently it’s almost like taking a law course? Maybe it’s just me and I cannot get my mind to curve that much.

Secondly the reply from “sandypurins” does not really address the issue at hand which is that the initial dispute has been resolved. As I understand the Paypal system, once that issue is resolved there are no menu choices available for changes or a new dispute. Once the dispute is resolved it is closed and removed from view (I’m sure paypal keeps a record somewhere). So the option of changing the dispute does not actually apply to this situation since there is nothing available to change but, thanks for your reply it is appreciated.

Paypal is a business and in business to make a profit! My suggestion may involve a little extra work for Paypal but isn’t the payoff of more amicable resolutions and therefore more happy customers, Isn’t this benefit more profitable in the end? Remember it’s just a suggestion and my own little take on the matter.

Login to Me Too

celmom
New Community Member

Are you saying there is no choice for "damaged in shipping"?  I am trying to get a buyer to change "item not as described" to "damaged in shipping". Not as described sounds like the seller is trying to fool the buyer or not being honest in their description, which is certainly not the case.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

There is no "damaged in shipping" because it doesn't matter how it got damaged, the item easn't originally described with the damage.

Refund the buyer, then claim the damage against the shipper if you bought insurance or absorb the loss if you didn't.

Login to Me Too

Goneja
Contributor
Contributor

I recently got stuck with a counterfeit memory card. Ebay had notified me of the listing being cancelled and the seller being removed from E-bay shortly after paying. I filed a non-receipt claim and closed it once I received it. I tested it to actually be a counterfeit  and attempted to make a new claim. I was not able to.

However, I was able to simply phone in and when I described the circumstance, they were very quick to simply re-open the case for me due to the circumstances.

It may be different for you, but if you are clearly in the right and not much time has passed since closing the first case I don't think you should have a problem - other than the annoyance of calling up.

Unfortuantely Paypal's system is not perfect and they do not deal perfectly with every dispute. The best advice is to only submit one claim and change the reason when necessary. If a problem occurs, don't wait for an email, call up in person. Although its not stated clearly anywhere you would want it to be, apparently the rule of law is one dispute per claim.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.