Anyone receiving 1 cent donations?

WebGoddessNH
Contributor
Contributor

We are a non-profit, animal rescue group using PayPal to take donations through our website.  In the past couple months, I am seeing 1 cent donations come through.  Of course, the fees wipe this out and the donation becomes non-existent to us on our end, but I am becoming suspicious that these donations are perhaps being done in order to verify whether a credit card number is valid or for something illegal purpose in some other way.  Is anyone else seeing these 1 cent donations or an increase in the amount of them you encounter and what might be going on?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

Brenem

I have not had that problem yet.

I have however , made a donate button for a set amount of $10 and another button without set amount.

The second button is labeled "To donate more then the usual $10, click here"

I figure it would help in preventing donations less then the fee's to process them.

Brenem

Login to Me Too

WebGoddessNH
Contributor
Contributor

We do note that there are fees involved and ask for at least a $5 donation, but along with buttons for set donations, have one which goes to the option of donors selecting their own amount.  The 1cent donations are not accidents where someone means 10.00 and they have been frequent enough lately to set of an alarm.  I asked a colleague who is in the security field what he felt, and his answer was that he thought perhaps the 1 cent donations were a way of testing a credit card number to see if it was legit or a paypal account to see if it was legit, then using that information to move on to illegal actions with the card/account.

I have seen the 1 cent donations periodically for several months now, and about half the time connected with an Asian name as the "donor".

Login to Me Too

upgar
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue too.

I've received a series of 1 cent donations over the past few days, from unverified addresses. I would publish the email addresses but I suspect they're hacked accounts. Contact me if you want to share information.

I contacted PayPal who said there is no problem, and told me to refund the amounts. That's just a crazy suggestion because, after PayPal's charges have been applied, I'm not actually receiving anything.

There's an issue here, and PayPal need to sort it out.

Login to Me Too

Wombat
Contributor
Contributor

Have another look at the PP refund process. Refunds can be made through PP WPS accounts and fees are returned also.

See "If I send a refund and it is accepted, are the fees from the original transaction credited to my acc...

------------------------------

Note if you are using so called plain text button forms, ie NOT EWP encrypted, NOT account button wizard encrypted, NOT "saved hosted" button wizard html forms, it is possible for script kiddies (inc general low iq idiots) to copy your form even on their PC desktop and after making changes submit their remote copy of the form design.

But realize, squilions of dollars are earnt by happy PP clients like your selves using the WPS pay button forms every year (er, that's overall not squils each).

The more experienced webmaster realises that with PP the refund process is easy, and if the payment was for a product one MUST use proper result reconciliation no matter how confident one is. At the end of the day that is where the buck stops(!!), result checking.

Programmaticly that can be as easy as implementing IPN notifications, with the server side processor script performing fundamental checks of receiver address etc PLUS the total cost received compared to the product ordered. If there is a problem detected don't ship the product and have an email sent to you warning you of the possible nong attack. If it is an obvious attack activate a "refund".

Really, if you are impatient, think everything should just happen easily and no extensive checking should be required, you shouldn't even own a computer. Don't blame stuff on others or other systems where money transactions are concerned. YOU (or your code) MUST CHECK PROPERLY BEFORE SHIPMENT.

So all the kiddie attack suggestions above can be considered as common, not terrific, but still common.

PS Edit: For general good-guys use of your pay button forms, apply some basic Javascript checking of the forms before they are submitted. As one person above suggested some just inattentively do stuff like enter 1 instead of 10.00 etc; it happens all the time. So a bit of Javascript can in *most cases sort that out for you especially where you are expecting the customer to enter summink in a text box (*Javascript can be easily circumvented if somebod really wants to).

See skier's web site for form samples many accompanied by easily adjusted Javascript ideas.

---------------------------

PS EDIT: I forgot this most important bit....

Chargeback Fee

To cover the cost of processing chargebacks, PayPal assesses a fee to sellers for credit and debit card payment chargebacks. (A chargeback occurs when a buyer rejects or reverses a charge on his or her credit card through the credit card issuer). So it is not hard to understand why many sellers insist on only buyers using a PayPal accounts!!

So it is always worth initiating a refund as quick as possible when the need is obvious.

This Fee is based on the currency received as follows:
Argentine Peso:     30.00ARS
Australian Dollar:    $15.00 AUD
Brazilian Real:         20.00 BRL
Canadian Dollar:     $15.00 CAD
Czech Koruna:         250.00 CZK
Danish Koruna:         60.00 DKK
Euro:             €11.25 EUR
Hong Kong Dollar:     $75.00 HKD
Hungarian Forint:     2000 HUF
Israeli Shekel:         40.00 ILS
Japanese Yen:         ¥1,300 JPY
Mexican Peso:         $110.00 MXN
New Zealand Dollar:     $15.00 NZD
Norwegian Krone:     65.00 NOK
Philippine Peso:     500.00 PHP
Polish Zlotych:         30.00 PLN
Singapore Dollar:     $15.00 SGD
Swedish Krona:         80.00 SEK
Swiss Franc:         10.00 CHF
Taiwan New Dollar:    330.00 TWD
Thai Baht:         360.00 THB
U.K. Pounds Sterling:     £7.00 GBP
U.S. Dollar:         $10.00 USD

This Fee does not apply if the transaction is covered by PayPal’s Seller Protection Policy (eBay items).

Regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------------
'imself. [PHParagon.com] [Save MySQL]
...bug free, my programs do occasionally include undisclosed FREE random features.

Login to Me Too

drclue
New Community Member

Gosh I have always loved PayPal and in reality still do, I must make a slap

at an employee we can simply call "Cindy".

This person says in responce to any questioning of quality of service that "maybe this service is not for you"

So what unreasonable service might she be speaking of? Well for the last 6 months , every month has seen

a PayPal block on my ATM card despite that every round of spending involved the exact same stores

like supicious Walmart,Vons (a grocery store) and similar [high risk] firms.

In responce to various Cindy born excuses , I have spent many dollars and countless hours trying to

avoid being red faced at a checkout for having my PayPal card dis-honored , despite the fact that I have been a member in good standing far longer than Cindy has probably been an employee.

I have spoken with cindy personaly , even offering to provide programming services at cost to correct the issues

wih but the sum response being that despite over 6 months of patience that if there is an issue , who cares.

I'm sure that if the executives of PayPal understood the issues and the easy solutions to fraud available that

"Cindy" could care less about , that PayPal would suffer less fraud , users like myself of long standing would not

feel so airfport "TSA" and life would be better.

Cindy says (paraphrased) "If you don't' like me not doing my job , maybe this service is not for you")

Hey . Paypal, I'll do her job right for a flat $1500 a month, which is probably about a weeks pay for her

to run your good name into the ground while not really preventing the fraud.

Like I said , I've been a paypal user for likely longer than Cindy has been so stupid, and in her stupid

it has not been the bad guys even put to the curb , but rather honest PayPal users.

As long aas Cindy don't want to step up  to the plate , an niether will her bosses , I will fight on.

louder and LOUDER and LOUDER. if you think I'm kidding , you do not know how to google

Login to Me Too

Grampafrank
Contributor
Contributor

The " YOU (or your code) MUST CHECK PROPERLY BEFORE SHIPMENT." comment is B S

I had a person order 4 items from ne.There were a lot of red flags like all different ship to addresses so I called ebay and finally found a person that I could understand. I waas told, "no problem, ship" so I did. 3 hours later I recieved a notice that the payment was on hold.The case was settled about a month later with the buyer getting their money back and me left with no money and no product. Paypal won't answer my question as to why I was told it was ok to ship and then hthey found in the buyers favor. This is just one of many cases simular to this that have happened to me.When you ask questioms, you get a formletter that has nothing to do with the question asked. If I want to sell on eBay, I have to use paypal don't I I can't see that I haVE ANY CHOICE.  The above cases involve a few hundred dollars each. The scary part is that paypal has by bank information also. If anyone has any solutions to gthese problems, please post the information. 

Login to Me Too

MrRick
New Community Member

Back in December of 09 A buy did a chargeback on a crdit card. paypal took the money from my account and asked for proof of transaction ect. I was notified paypal was going to dispute the chargeback on my behalf.
I have e-maild the charge back center several times and got nothing but the cannned response.

$ days ago I a ovvassion to be in contact with the buyer and he advised me that his bak rejected his chargeback claim and returned the money to paypal. ( he was not happy he lost the dispute) I have asked paypal over and over why the money has not been returned to my account and still get nothing but a canned responce( we are looking over your dispute if we need additional info we will contack you )

horse buggy, where is my money and how do I get it back from paypal

Login to Me Too

PinoyPlaya

Also bear in mind that there are people out there that recently opened a "Bank of America" checking account. These people find 1 cent Paypal donations and donate a total of $2.50 at 1 cents per donation giving a total of 250 donations.  This in turns provide the "donatee" a total of 0.99x250 = $247.50 in net from Bank of America 100% Keep the Change Match which also results a loss to the person receiving the donation.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.