Access to our Bank Account - is it safe? Why no option to change our default funding source??

homemn
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal,  you don't  take care of your customers in a way I feel is professional or ethical. 

You force your customers to give you sensitive bank account information so you have access to their bank accounts, or you limit their paypal account to the point they cannot purchase items on ebay.  There are many ways to "verify" your customers which don't include a bank account. Once we give you bank account information, you FORCE your customers to use it as a primary funding source without anyway to change to OUR preferred method of payment as default.  This causes potential OVERDRAFT issues when an error occurs during the payment process (must make sure you click on the small print called "change your funding source" on each transaction).  You deliberitly used very small print to change the funding source during checkout so people will easily miss it.

I got stuck with another $35 overdraft charge because of your terrible system of not allowing your customers to change the preferred payment method (for me it always will be my credit card).  I'm tired of this, and I know I'm not the only one complaining to Paypay about it.

I called to discuss this with a supervisor, no supervisor ever called me back.

Once we give you our bank account info, how SAFE is our bank account and our MONEY?   Your security is terrible, spammers are spoofing paypal all the time.  I can't imagine how many people have been tricked into giving their password out and having their account hacked into.  At that point their bank account could be cleared out!  How DARE you force people to give you their bank account info knowing how often this could and does happen!

PayPal, start listening to your customers.  Stop strong arming them into giving you access to their bank accounts.  Find another way to "verify" your customers.  Allow us to use OUR preferred method of payment as default so we don't get hit with overdraft charges.  Start listing to your customers!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

richiewrench
New Community Member

I just started a thread because of this,  and then clicked on yours!   I luckily notice the email that I had a balance.  I assume you must have missed it if you have overdraft.   Or am I getting an overdraft and just don't know it?  

I am trying to figure out how to pay my balance without giving my bank account,  I'm with you I don't trust them enough to give account, and don't like strong arm tactics.

good luck    Rich

Login to Me Too

homemn
Contributor
Contributor

Rich, if you don't do a lot of business on Ebay or Paypal, then you can keep your bank account private and not give Paypal access (to my knowledge). But once you purchase enough (lifetime purchases), Paypal will FORCE you to give them access to your bank account.  If you don't, they will change your status to "non verified" which will make it extremely difficult to purchase anything on Ebay.  Once you give Paypal your access to your bank, they force you to use your bank account as your primary source of payment - whether you want it that way or not.  That's when the mistakes happen and people get charged overdraft fees from their bank.

I am absolutely certain I changed the funding source on my last transaction to Credit card - but paypal took it out of my bank account anyway.  I was charged $35 overdraft fee.  Tried to contact Paypal about it, they won't listen at all. 

Looking over the forums, I noticed several people claiming they changed the funding source on a transaction to credit card (just like I did), but paypal took out of their bank account anyway (then bank overdrafts).  It appears we are not the only one who can make a mistake on payment funding source, Paypal appears to make a lot of mistakes on this too - at a overdraft cost to us!!

Login to Me Too

jewelofpacific
Contributor
Contributor

I found out today that I had two accounts with paypal, because I have two email accounts.  I cancelled one of them, andb then imput the Credit card information onto the new email account.  I haed made a purchase, and am not able to close the payment with paypal until I furnish my personal checking account information, or open a new Credit card with PayPal, neither of which I was wanting or expecting to do.  At this point I may just c ancel my purc hase.  I feel badly.  I did try emailing "SARAH"  what a joke that was.  Has anyone else had this situation???

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.