APO and deliver confirmation?

peteandnae
New Community Member

I recently purchased an item on ebay from a seller who stated they shipped worldwide. I was especially excited to see they ship most purchases via US Postal Service Priority Mail as we have an APO address (California address for military living over seas) and US Postal Service Priority Mail if the fastest way for us to recieve items. I soon recieved a message saying they could not ship to APO addresses (although this wasn't stated anywhere in the discription) and do I have a stateside mailing address? I asked why they couldn't ship to APO addresses and this was the reply I got:

"We can not ship an item of this cost ($199) to an APO as when we have shipped to APO's in the past they rarely ever show a delivery confirmation. Paypal requires us to be able to have tracking showing proof of delivery. I do apologize if you where able to pay by money order then we would have no problem sending to the APO.
Thanks,"

I have never had this problem before and I've purchase things costing more than $199. In fact, the Post Office here always scans packages I recieve with the confirmation scanner in front of me when I pick them up. I got a good deal on the item and I think the seller is simply trying to figure a way out without me leaving bad feedback. However, wanting to give the seller the bennefit of the doubt I would like to know if this is a common problem for others. More importantly, is there any grounds or reasons for this seller to legitimately not send me my item when I can, and in fact do recieve items of this nature all the time without problems?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

TominTampa
Contributor
Contributor

@surplusdealdude wrote:

I wouldn't blame the seller too much.

The problem is that sellers can only get delivery confirmation as far as the APO. 

From there, their parcels are at the mercy of the Armed forces mail service who are, to put it kindly, slow.

There are all sorts of sellers that have had non-delivery complaints filed on them because they ship to APO's and the stuff takes months to get delivered.

Some sellers have decided it isn't worth the hassle anymore and they won't ship to an APO address.  While they should note that in the listing, they forget.

It's  bad situation all around.

Login to Me Too

TominTampa
Contributor
Contributor

@TominTampa wrote:

@surplusdealdude wrote:

I wouldn't blame the seller too much.

The problem is that sellers can only get delivery confirmation as far as the APO. 

From there, their parcels are at the mercy of the Armed forces mail service who are, to put it kindly, slow.

There are all sorts of sellers that have had non-delivery complaints filed on them because they ship to APO's and the stuff takes months to get delivered.

Some sellers have decided it isn't worth the hassle anymore and they won't ship to an APO address.  While they should note that in the listing, they forget.

It's  bad situation all around.

Again.... You didn't read my post... I was not blaming the Sellers. That is their perogative not to ship to APO's. However some are more than willing to go the extra mile to provide a service to our folks doing their duty overseas. My issue..If you had read my post... is with PayPal and their decision to not include APO or FPO in their system. It is a simple process to add the option back in their software but they apparently don't care enough to do so.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

My issue..If you had read my post... is with PayPal and their decision to not include APO or FPO in their system

Oh, THAT!

That's easy - an AFO address can't be confirmed using the online USPS dial-a-zip system and Paypal is required under terms of their contract with USPS to only ship addresses that have been confirmed with dial-a-zip.

I have the same problem with Endicia, another bulk postage system - always have to ship the parcels at the counter.

Login to Me Too

TominTampa
Contributor
Contributor

Obviously you don't get it Amanda. The issue is with PayPal. You cannot add and APO to the address any more. Even when using a NY in the State box and a 09xxx zip code which used to be a NY Zip Code. PayPal needs to add back in the APO ability. There are thousands of dedicated folks serving their country overseas that rely on the APO system to bring their small piece of home to them and they deserve better than this. Your title appears as a PayPal Administrator. If that is so, take this to the next level and get the system fixed so that the folks overseas can get the service they deserve.

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi peteandnae,

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to work with the seller to complete your purchase. It is up to the seller to state their shipping terms clearly. It is also their prerogative to turn down business.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.