20% limit for modifying subscriptions?

horea4
New Community Member

I know this issue has been discussed before in the forums but I'm just trying to understand how this works and if there is any way I can avoid this 20% limitation. 

I am using Website Payments Standard and I'm generating encrypted buttons in my application.

The reason I'm so confused about this is that I read the PP_WebsitePaymentsStandard_IntegrationGuide.pdf document. At page 146 there's a section called 'Subscribers Use Modify Subscription Buttons' where a very clear example is given of a user modifying his subscription from $29.95 to $69.95, which is more than 20%. Moreover, there is NO mentioning of this limitation anywhere in that document. So then what's the deal with this?

This is just not cool. You start developing, you follow the documentation, only to find out, 'oh, wait a minute, there's a limitation that's specified somewhere on their site, but you only find it if you're looking for it specifically'. 

Paypal should either provide a solution, or else have the decency to make it clear from the very beginning!

In any case, is there ANY way to avoid this limitation without Website Payments Pro? I don't want to read the credit card info on my website, I want to use buttons and let the user pay/subscribe on the Paypal site. From what I understand, you can't avoid this limitation if you're using buttons, even if you're using Website Payments Pro. 

Is this correct? Can anyone help here? And can ANYONE explain the logic for this limitation?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.