international family and friends request Will it protect seller???

superpalsart

Hi, I am in the United States and sell artwork for a friend. A buyer from Holland had initially purchased a $3,000 piece of art. I discovered that USPS won't insure or track it at all and FedEx only insures up to $1,000. DHL wants over $700 to shiup it insured. None of those are options.

The buyer suggested a willingness to send a family and friends payment, covering the cost of the art, essentially doubling the price paid. He requests that I hold the family and friends payment, until he confirms that he has received the artwork. 

Does anyone know if this cover me? Better yet, if he is willing to do family and friends, I can return the initial echeck payment he sent via paypal, if family and friends is non-reversable.

Any helpful responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

LaizaVenice
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

There's no seller nor buyer's protection when you send/receive money using friends or family option. PayPal won't help the buyer recover it back if they try to dispute this internally but unauthorised/chargebacks transaction is an exemption.

Regards,

Laiza Venice

Login to Me Too

superpalsart

So the scenerio described above, would allow me to retain the family and friends money that he is offering?

Login to Me Too

Paelavong003
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @superpalsart,

I agree with @LaizaVenice, Yes you may be able to retain the funds but as she stated above in case the sender of the payment tries to charge it back depending on how the sender's bank would decide you may loose the money.

I would highly recommend that at this point just follow PayPal's Goods and Services option as using Friends and Family option can affect your standings with PayPal if it isn't really for Friends and Family.

Sincerely,
Paelavong
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.