Temporary Hold on Refund

fruit_fling
Contributor
Contributor

I paid for something through paypal (not on ebay) but then almost immediately cancelled as I found a problem with my order. I made and cancelled the order on 17/09, got my refund back on 20/09 but it a temporary hold has been placed on it. I understand that this has something to do with the payment actually being taken from my bank account. However, the payment has now cleared from my bank account, but my refund is still being held. Does anyone know how long it will take for my refund to be released? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

unhappybuyer
Contributor
Contributor

if i paid for an item with debit card would the money go into sellers account straight away

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
152 REPLIES 152

PayPal_david

Hi Fruit_fling,

Any time a customer initiates a payment from their bank account using the electronic direct debit between your bank account and your PayPal account, the payment takes in total between 5 and 7 working days to complete processing and then be evident on PayPal.

When you send an instant transfer, PayPal make the payment to your seller instantly so that your seller has the funds and you get your item as soon as possible. If the payment is cancelled or refunded, we are required to place the payment on hold until it completes processing from your bank account.

Although I realise that the payment may already have been debited from your bank account, the funds would not have completed processing through PayPal and that would be why the payment is still on hold. If you check your bank account, you should see that the funds have not been debited for around 2-3 working days after you originally made the payment to your seller.

Your payment should be credited directly to your PayPal balance over the coming days Smiley Happy.

David

Login to Me Too
Solved

unhappybuyer
Contributor
Contributor

if i paid for an item with debit card would the money go into sellers account straight away

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi unhappybuyer,

If you pay with your debit card your seller will receive the payment instantly. Also when you pay your seller using your bank account as an instant transfer your seller is also paid instantly as we pay the seller on your behalf and we then go to your bank account for the funds.

The only time your payment will not be sent to the customer instantly is if an echeque is sent. An echeque will take 5-7 working days to complete and must complete before the funds are given to your seller.

I hope this helps,

Paula

Login to Me Too

eggmedia
Contributor
Contributor

It's obvious that PayPal holds the money longer than necessary. My payment was immediately debited from my account, but after 6 days I'm still waiting for a refund. This is a scam!

Login to Me Too

Markus11z
Contributor
Contributor
In the old days it took a while for paper checks to reach a bank, but now they know pretty quick if the money is there and even if its not they will pay it for you and charge usury rates overlimit fees. What do you think happens to millions of peoples money "sitting" somewhere for a few days? As soon as i scrolled down to see more of the truth, a huge paypal pop up blocked the screen. Research the banking laws, they are doing their best to keep everything legal, thats why credit card companies have their cards issued from 2 states that charge interest rates that would be ILLEGAL any where else because of usury laws.
Login to Me Too

Eugene1234
Contributor
Contributor
Why the heck does paypal want to make use of sending physical cheques by mail within the organization of paypal to complete transactions for their customers. Or in this case when there is a refund given by merchant to customer who used paypal. It does sound like a load of crapuhla. Using physical cheques in this digital age, who believes that? Come on Paypal just admit you're latching on to funds from customers to take interest for a few days. In my case 6-9 days
Login to Me Too

woodpeckers
New Community Member
I had a temp hold placed on funds. bought a toaster on ebay, was told it was out of stock, got the refund, and there it sat with a temp hold on it for 6 days.I sent an email to paypal querying the delay, and got a standard one-answer-fits-all email in reply. However I have just checked again, 36 hours after the email arrived, and the funds are back in my paypal balance.There was no email to tell me this. As to why anyone is using cheques now. it's beyond my comprehension. Just wanted to share the news that I DID get my money back eventually. But It would make me think twice about buying stuff online and using paypal over a bank holiday weekend!
Login to Me Too

Cricket_7
Contributor
Contributor
I paid The Shopping Channel from my PayPal balance. The refund was authorized from TSC on Sept. 20. Why is PayPal STILL holding my funds, then. It wasn't paid by echeck, but by my PP balance. Most annoying and inconvenient.
Login to Me Too

jen8284

Hi! please help. I'm having the same problem, it says that the seller has refunded my money but i see that a temporary hold has been placed. I've waited 5 working days and my money is still on hold. How will I get my money back? Does it go back to my bank account or paypal?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.