Temporary Hold on Refund

fruit_fling
Contributor
Contributor

I paid for something through paypal (not on ebay) but then almost immediately cancelled as I found a problem with my order. I made and cancelled the order on 17/09, got my refund back on 20/09 but it a temporary hold has been placed on it. I understand that this has something to do with the payment actually being taken from my bank account. However, the payment has now cleared from my bank account, but my refund is still being held. Does anyone know how long it will take for my refund to be released? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
152 REPLIES 152

sleepy_sand
New Community Member

I am having the identical problem. The money went from my account 4 days ago, and was refunded the next day. I really need it as I have had to buy an alternative present!!!! Come on, paypal - stop hanging on to people's money!!!!!

Login to Me Too

rosieb
New Community Member

I'm having the same issue -  It doesn't seem right that paypal can hold on to our money for so long and not give it back!  Once it apears in my paypal account it will still take a while to transfer back to my bank account.

there appear to be lots of people with this problem, but no answer as to how long it takes

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There is a perfectly valid reason for the temporary hold, the money has not cleared yet.

When you make a payment via bank funding it comes out of your account like a direct debit, so you pay, whilst the seller gets it instantly, PayPal in effect loan the money to the seller before it clears, so if you get a refund on it they have to wait for the money to clear to them before you get it back, if they did not and your payment bounced they would be out of pocket.

it works like this.

You pay, PayPal initiate the direct debit from  your bank, it comes out of your bank from 3 to 5 days later, it goes back to PayPal then once PayPal have it you get your money back.

You don't have to use bank funding you could just have a card on file with PayPal so then if you ever got refunded your payments would go back to your card.

Login to Me Too

Wilkes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a similar issue at the moment. We paid for an item partly from our paypal account then the balance from our Bank Account. The seller then issued me with a partial refund, this was then put on temporary hold, which after reading the forum I can fully understand why. What I don't understand is not only was the £13 refund but on hold all the money coming in from our sales on ebay from that day were but on hold aswell. Could someone explain why this was done? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Tabt
Contributor
Contributor
This has happened to me it's so annoying. I have made a payment and part was from my paypal and part from my bank account, then the seller part refunded me and now my account is on hold with no explanation also they are holding other funds that are coming in from things I am selling, so I have to pay the postage out my own money till paypal decides to lift the stupid hold that it has put on, it's not fair or right without any explanation.
Login to Me Too

dgregge
Hi I am having same problem I sold a pram for £370 on 19/06/17 an money is in PayPal account from then an left the buyers account straight away. I had to send pram an pay the £63 postage myself an today is 27/06/17 an I still have not received my money an is still saying balance on hold. I added a tracking number which is meant to speed up release of funds but as can see it's made no difference. The buyer has received pram an I am still waiting on my money from PayPal. Is a total disgrace an when I try to ring PayPal all I get is stupid questions to choose which doesn't give a option for payments on hold so can't get speaking to anyone. This surely has to be against the law what's going on here an totally unfair to sellers on ebay. I won't be using eBay again or PayPal once my money is received I will be closing my accounts with both an will be warning others of this scam
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dgregge

If its a paypal hold and not an ebay hold then info in this link for the new seller hold >

https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/article/why-are-my-payments-for-non-ebay-sales-pending-and-how-ca...

Secondly if you phone paypal then >>

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

infrasonic

This is not true.

I paid for an item on eBay using a credit card attached to my paypal account. I did not and could not have paid using my bank account, as it was empty of funds just prior to pay day. My payment went through, but the item turned out to be out of stock and the seller gave me a prompt and complete refund. If, as the above post says, credit card payments processed through paypal go straight back onto the card account, why has a temporary hold been put on this refund? My bank account has nothing to do with this transaction, either buying or being refunded, so "waiting for funds to clear" is not a valid excuse, not that it ever was. As a poster above has noted, this is the old trick of keeping your money in their acount as  long as possible so they can earn interest on it. In the digital banking age, where trillions of dollars are moved around electronically every day, in transactions that occur at the speed of light, it is insulting to my and everyone elses intelligence to tell us that transactions have to "clear". This isn't the 19th century, with clerks checking cheques against ledgers with quill pens and paypal isn't bloody Gringott's. Don't you make enough money without having to squeeze the last drop of blood from us? Sort this nonsense out, paypal, and release my money now. And everyone elses.

Oh, and stop lying to us too.

infra-goddamn-sonic

Login to Me Too

Robb187
My money came straight from my card I expect the refund straight to my card. If that is "how it works" then eBay and PayPal should make that clear at point of sale. But then, if they did, people wouldn't use them... I have complained and had a refund next day, twice... explain that if it is not possible..
Login to Me Too

Luluk82
New Community Member
Please someone tell me whyyyy Paypal have put a Temporary hold on a refund I received? It's been 5 days since I got the refund from a seller on eBay! I don't think it's right that Paypal can do this to people. I'm sure I'm not the only one this is/ has happened to. Can someone plz tell me how long 'MY' Money will be on hold as it's £49.95 and at this time of year I could really be using it for Xmas gifts!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.