Suspicious overpayment!

mikeh2
Contributor
Contributor

Buyer wants to pay more than the invoiced amount, with me to then pay a courier from the extra.  This sounds very suspicious,and I want to block the payment before it is sent.  Is this possible?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mikeh2

SOUNDS LIKE THIS SCAM   >>

They encourage you to use paypal and often don't quibble on price or want to view and offer to send a courier.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
If the item requires shipping the 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg moneygram or western union.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mikeh2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I got the later mails too.  Sadly some will fall for it.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mikeh2

Unfortunately some do fall for it but that is one of the reasons i volunteer my time on here and at least save some from the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.