Seller waits 21 days to ship so funds will be released

Gayler1
Contributor
Contributor

Is it common for a seller to wait the 21 days before shipping the item so that the funds will be realeased?    Or is that a deceptive practice?  

Does Paypal wait until the buyer receives the shipment before releasing funds?   Technically, the seller could take the money and not ship the item or the item is not as advertised and then there would still be a dispute or recall with the credit card by the buyer.    

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gayler1

He's probably a new seller and subject to the new seller hold.

The idea of that is that the sooner he sends your item (preferably trackable) the sooner his funds are released.

If he is not going to ship then personally i would file a dispute for non receipt of item > get your money back and buy elsewhere.

If he gets a few disputes as a new seller odds are he won't need to worry about the new seller hold as he won't be allowed to sell.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gayler1
Contributor
Contributor

Since I'm not in a huge rush for the items, I guess I can just wait the 21 days then he gets the funds and ships me the item.  I hate to knock someone if they are new and don't know the ropes and cash strapped I guess.  So does PayPal automatically release the funds in 21 days or do they ask me if I've received the item before they release the money?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gayler1

They release the funds when a TRACKING number shows the item as delivered + 7 days so he would the funds more quickly if he shipped your item now rather than waiting 21 days.

And if you do allow him to wait he will expect to be able to do so on the next transactions as well and as this is not why paypal apply the hold he will run into problems.

Was it Ebay or paypal? If it was a private transaction or non ebay send him this  >>

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/why-is-my-payment-on-hold-or-unavailable-faq1987/1

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gayler1
Contributor
Contributor

This was not an ebay transaction.  It was from a wedding recycle site using paypal for transactions.  I have read the link you sent...I also sent this to him/her earlier.  He replied that he needed the money to ship the items.  SInce this person is a new seller.   I just wanted to find out whether the money will be released without me acknowleging that I received the package.  Or will it just sit in limbo until I say I received it If that's the case I will tell him to cancel and refund the money and  I guess he/she will never sell the items. This was a $270 purchase.  Or will it be released in 21+7 days regardless?    

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gayler1

Sorry late reply had to go baking !!

ok if you don't open a dispute for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described then the funds are released to him at 21 days without you having to do anything.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

darrylmueller
Contributor
Contributor

It's like tosing a coin! There is no sure right or wrong it's who does something. I have had hundereds of good transactions on PayPal but now after a $445.00 theft of a lens I cannot trust PayPal. It may be all automated and with because they just ignored me you enter an appeal then they reject it. Lip service was all I got! It's ok to hold my funds for 74 days but don't spend time to make the right conclusion. Sorry I will not allow them be 3rd party PayPal are not trust worthy.

Login to Me Too

darrylmueller
Contributor
Contributor

I posted a tracking number 12/15/16 and never got paid then 70 days later 2/23/17 PayPay refunded full amount to buyer plus shipping with out ever asking for a tracking number? Don't get scamed us a credit card.

Login to Me Too

darrylmueller
Contributor
Contributor

NO 21 days is bad. Will you set the clock for 21 days? Will you forget about the item? Will it even get shipped? But PayPal can use yor funds wile it all play out! Only buy from someone that ships timley. Use a credit card you may be ignored at PayPal. PayPal is good to send money only. Do not feel they are at all responsible to hold you money!

Login to Me Too

darrylmueller
Contributor
Contributor

Scam Alert! Did you not get paid! Please don't let PayPal get away with it.

This happened to me. I sold Canon 70 200 lens on EBay #192044780534 12/11/16 Delivered on 12/15/16 with tracking posted to PayPal. So PayPal holds funds. On 2/1/17 Buyer says autofocus stopped working. Opens a despute on EBay and that was declined and EBay closed. Then Buyer goes to PayPal and asks for a refundon 2/23/17 and is refunded the full amount + shipping. I appeal and on 3/8/17 my appeal is denied. PayPal does not even ask for a tracking # to return item to Seller.

This is nothing more that theft. PayPal holding funds as long as possable to use for there own interest. Then unwilling to do the correct thing. In my case paypal used funds for 74 days. Ebay says I am correct, I sold like new. With no warrantee. At the most 30 days would be a gray area but 74 days. PayPal then ignored me and refunded the buyer that broke the lens and did not require the buyer to even return the lens with tracking number. If you feel treated unfairly don't let paypay off they must be making so much by holding money, and then not responsible about dispersments, they could have kept my money and I woulkd not know?

Course of action against PayPal small claims etc.

PayPal Inc.

2211 North First St.

San Jose, CA 95131

PayPal Agent for Service,

Vivian Imperial at C.T.Corporation Systems

818 W. 7th St. Ste 930

Los Angeles, CA 90017

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.