Scammed yet again. Paypal will probably side with the buyer AGAIN.

orcywoo6
Contributor
Contributor

This is the second time I have had an unauthorised access claim opened after selling an item to somebody.

The first time, obviously paypal sided with the buyer despite all the proof of email communication and delivery I showed, they always do.

This time I have MADE SURE to get email confirmation from the buyer, which was done and so I proceeded with the sale, only to find shortly after, a lovely unauthorised payment claim and £-22 in my account. Gee thanks.

I have uploaded various bits of proof including screenshots of the communication and confirmation between me and the buyer, the terms of the sale that are clearly displayed and other things that obviously wont even be looked at by paypal.

So, I'm waiting to be out of stock and out of pocket again, this is the equivalent of being robbed and these con artists always get away with it due to this STUPID unauthorised payment loophole in the paypal system.

I don't want to have to go to court over this, but I will be if paypal sides with the buyer, which I'm waiting for.

It is far too easy for these scammers to do this and get away with it. If they tried this in the real world they would be put in prison. Why should they get away with it here?

I am not happy about getting any chances of running a legitimate business ruined by a bad service that actually PROTECTS scammers.

If this goes the way I know it probably will, bye paypal, I'll never use you again.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sammy12345
Contributor
Contributor

i know what you mean mate i sold some virtual items on ebay which i know i wasnt supposed to do is sold about £200's worth of items and all they did was take out an unauthorised access claim and because i dont have any proof of sending it because its virtual like always they got there money back., plus paypal have limited 2 of my accounts with money in both of them because i had to make a few accounts to stop the scammers getting there money back paypal **bleep** and i hope someone invents a new service that ebay will take on and kick this **bleep** paypal offline also i hope they go bust.

Login to Me Too

zaza62
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, same here. Have made a topic about how i got scammed the same way, lost the my account and now paypal is asking for chargeback of £10 never using paypal again ever.

Login to Me Too

adamhotdogsales
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys

this same thing has just happened to me but for a TV I sold for over £500. The money was paid to me on paypal, described as cleared, I therefore let the item be picked up.

I then withdrew the money to my bank account, I was selling the TV as I am moving to New York next week and needed the money to pay my final council tax bill.

I then yesterday find out that my PayPal account is now -£500 becuase the money he supposidly paid didnt stand up or wasn't authorized. I dont see how PayPal allow me to take to these funds and put them into my account as actual money if they dont technically exist yet. As far as I am concerned this is PayPal's mistake and for the time being it is them who are owed this money and not me as I have already withdrawn it.

Now I spoke to PayPal yesterday who said I will be notified if the buyer/scammer does not authorize the payment and therefore I am responsible for the money lost but they said they won't just take it out of my account automatically, do you know if they can or have done to you? As I want to make sure this doesn't happen as at the moment its my only leg to stand on.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Adam

Login to Me Too

zaza62
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Adam,

I'm in the same situation as you, after receiving the payment from the buyer i withdrew the money to my bank account to pay for some bills, about a day or two later my paypal account was -£210 so basically he(the buyer) put his scam into action, and so the paypal having favoured the scammer reversed the payment. Now that i dont have any money left paypal can wait a couple of years.

Login to Me Too

Nannysoo
Contributor
Contributor

I think that it's wrong that  both Paypal and Ebay seem to always side with the buyer. I  can PROVE that an item was sent but a buyer only has to say that they've not received it and Paypal put a hold on the payment.

Perhaps we should all start using good old cheques and postal orders then at least we wouldn't be paying Paypal for siding against us. Sue.

Login to Me Too

njhuntv6
New Community Member

Yes your absolutely right Sue,Paypal just do what they want & when they want & get away with it,is this our money what we've worked hard for or is it theres just to take when they want it,they always take the BUYERS word?? as if all BUYERS are good honest folk & all SELLERS  are dishonest crooks,we all need to stand together on this one & get these decisions turned around & make Ebay a fun place to trade again. Nick

Login to Me Too

adamhotdogsales
Contributor
Contributor

Fortunately I do have the money in my account because I withdrew it straight away but PayPal say that should they not be able to get it cleared from him then they will come after me for it, now I don't know if they can directly pull it out of my bank account that is my worry, on the phone they said they wont and they will just say that I owe it like with any bill.

I wanted to cancel the transaction on my eBay account to recoup as much money as I could so in this case the £40 I was charged for selling the TV.

In the notes of why I want to cancel I stated everything saying what happened and that I had been scammed etc. Weirdly the other account who "bought" the TV agreed to cancel the transaction so essentially they are admitting to what I said this is what was in the notes of the case details...

This case has been opened by the seller for the following reason: Buyer's payment hasn't been received or hasn't cleared.
Additional information provided by the seller: The buyer paid me on PayPal thus it automatically being marked as paid on here, and why I left positive
fb. I then allowed the buyer to pick the item up and then withdrew the funds to my account, since 
then (I noticed only yesterday) my PayPal account is showing a negative £540 balance as the funds 
that were marked as cleared have now not held up. So I therefore need to treat this as unpaid and 
obviously want to remove my positive feedback, this is clearly a scammer I have been victimised by. 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.