Scam or not???

QueenK1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling some trainers and I've received and email from this email Saying that my funds are available but they will only be released once I've sent a shipping number? It this true? Thanks

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

A_TeaMz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

Before You Ship ANY Items Out, Please Make Sure That You Receive A Payment First! If The Payment Goes Into Your Pending Balance Then That Is Also Normal! If Its In Your Pending Balance Please Add Trakcing Info To That Transaction & Your Pending Fund(s) Will Be Available To Use 3 Days After Delivery To The Buyer(s). Hope This Helped Answer Your Questions! Thank You!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@QueenK1

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

QueenK1
Contributor
Contributor
Great thanks for your help! Thought it was a scam just thought I'd make sure
Login to Me Too

dmcclymont
Contributor
Contributor

Omgosh!

This is literally happening to me right now, not sure what to do should I ignore their messages or report them to eBay?

This is what they have messaged me last night. 

"'I'm having a little issue with my ebay account so i cannot place bid or do buy it now with my ebay account right now, kindly back to me with your paypal email address or you can send paypal money request to my email address below (their email) "

"I'm having a little issue with my ebay account so i cannot place bid or do buy it now with my ebay account right now, kindly back to me with your paypal email address or you can send paypal money request to my email address and also here is the confirmed postage address below: (address in Nigeria)"

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dmcclymont

They use ''hijacked Ebay accounts'' and that is why they don't want to check out with Ebay.

By so called paying ''direct'' NOTHING will appear in your paypal account balance but you will get a ''fake / spoof'' email to say they have paid BUT you won't see the funds till you supply a tracking number.

This is WRONG as paypal do not expect you to send anything until the funds show in your paypal balance AND even if you are subject to the new seller hold and the funds are pending they will still show in your paypal balance with pending by it.

Ignore the scammers they will soon realise you are not going to play.

File an unpaid item dispute to get back your Ebay fees and relist BUT use your buyer blocks to set what countries you will sell to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MartaKata
New Community Member

Happened to me too, you should forward this email to spoof@paypal.co.uk

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.