Paypal refunded buyer, but returned item not received.

johnnyha
New Community Member

I had a distpute with a buyer which paypal resolved by refunding the buyer's money on the basis that the item would be sent back.

The item has not been received, and when I have queried this, I am provided with a tracking number but no idea of the shipping service used, or the address sent to.

So the bottom line is that buyer may well still have the item but his money has been refunded. I don't know how to move on from this very frustrating position.

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi MrTom1

Welcome to the community forum,

If you have proof that the item was sent to the address in the transaction details you should be covered by our seller protection. If this didn't happen in the case I would advise getting in touch with our customer service team to check if the transaction is eligible. You can click contact at the bottom of any PayPal page or we are available on Facebook www.Facebook.com/PayPalUK and Twitter @AskPayPal .

One thing that would void your protection is if the payment was accepted as a gift or a personal payment. As long as that is not the case there shouldn't be an issue. 

I hope this helps. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Nurse-Medic
New Community Member

I recently sold a Fire Helmet worth over $300.

I took photos of helmet while I was packaging it and shipped it to Germany.

All of a sudden, I am recieving an email from Paypal saying that the buyer is disputing and saying that the helmet is not as described.

I WAS SHOCKED TO SAY THE LEAST!!!!!!!

Paypal decides to put a hold on the funds and then allows the buyer to ship the item back and GUESS WHAT??!!??!!............IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT HELMET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been **bleep** out of over $200!!!!!!

I sent a BRAND NEW FREAKING HELMET TO GERMANY AND I AM BEING RIPPED OFF NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW IN THE WORLD CAN PAYPAL ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN??!!??!!

I HAVE PHOTOS OF ITEM BEING PACKAGED ALONG WITH VIDEO OF ME PACKAGING IT.....................WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??!!??!!!

YOU STILL ALLOWED THIS THIEF TO SEND ME A FREAKING BEAT UP AND DAMAGED USED ONE FOR MY BRAND NEW ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

IgottabigNick
Contributor
Contributor

Just happened to me today. I sold an item on Ebay; buyer received it & wasn't satisfied so he escalated a case with Ebay. Paypal refunded the money before the item was shipped back. In addition, when the buyer received the money, Ebay not only closed the case, but erased it from it ever existing. Was no way to search for it? 

So here I am, without the item I sold & without the money I received for selling it. Called Ebay & Paypal. Both apologized and simply said there was nothing they can do. Practically told me tough sh#t. They only reiterate what happened to you like you forgot. Why is it two multi-million dollar corporations can't assure both parties are happy? There is nothing keeping me from buying a bunch of expensive items on ebay and falsifying my purchases to further **bleep** the seller over, but I'm an honest person & I don't steal. But someone is going to find & abuse this loophole and both of these companies are going to have to take responsibility for their failure to monitor honest trading...eventually.

Login to Me Too

JayVee2015
Contributor
Contributor

It happened to me that the customer bought an item from me on ebay then asked me if i could deliver it sooner than the estimated delivery date i could so i arranged deliver later that day i got an email from ebay saying that a "Goods not received" dispute had been open by the customer this was quickly closed and the same dispute opened with paypal. I replied to the dispute with paypal giving the tracking number & the delivery date.
On the delivery date no one was at home to accept delivery a 2nd attempt was made with the same result, the delivery company gave up attempts at this point and were to return the parcel. I then get an eail from paypal stating my account is now limited because customer complaint about not receiving goods, bear in mind tracking details have been given, i phoned paypal and was advised that i should resolve the complaints to have the limitations lifted which i did by way of refunding this customer, later that day the customer arranges delivery of the goods & claims that they never knew that they had been refunded.
They have the Goods & the Money.
My advice to any of you that have suffered a similar circumstatance there is action you can take forget about paypal & ebay's buyer & seller protection & deal with it in the real world. The goods are yours until paid for in other words you own the title if the person that you sold to is actually the person SUE them through the county court & if you feel a criminal offence as been commited report them to the police, you will probably find that people who tend to try to scam your goods do it often & the only way to bring them to book is to file complaints and sue.
One thing to bear in mind if the person don't work or own a property you are not likely to get anything back at all except the satisfaction of getting a judgement against them.

Login to Me Too

Droidkid74
New Community Member
I have tht very problem too. My item is gone and seller keeps the money. This is so unfair and I don't see where here on papal which I can open a disputable as a seller where items not received back.
Login to Me Too

Willy1979
Contributor
Contributor

I refuse to sell anything over $100 on ebay due to these ongoing issues. People know paypal and ebay take the buyer side 99% of the time. I understand they dont want to lose the people spending money but now they are losing the sellers. I sold over $20,000 in jewelry last year and spent over $3000 in fees. Now I sell things on other sites and locally for less but since i dont pay those high fees, Im making out better! The worse part is you can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers so there is no way to see who is causing these problems.

One thing I did was block buyer from other countries, less than 10 feedback and temporary check out accounts.

Another scam I was recently hit with was from a seller. Ebay & paypal allowed a seller to list and sell a "service", unlocking of an iphone. This is a "service" I have always seen listed and is still to this day. There are many "services" listed but a "service" is not covered by the buyer protection plan. This seller sold a $75 service to over 200 people in 1 month, over $15,000 and no one was refunded! The feedback was just 200 negatives of people calling the guy a scammer and had same story as me.

Login to Me Too

leavenowrun

Mines worse, buyer wanted refund due to not as discribed after trying a non recipt-claim my discription stated one word used buyer was awarded refund on return spoke to staff at paypal they told me you should have won the case as it was as described but paypal is only there to ensure the return of items to seller as buyer can always do a charge back as far as that goes fine i get my items they get there money receved items with a piece missing as eome kind of revenge im guessing contacted paypal reported item not complete they say i have to get an expert on the item to do a report on company letterhead thank you paypal for impossible hoops to jump through paypal was a good company now there down there with EA you have to hold your nose to go near there products complete waste of time just tell your sellers they have no protection and the 2.6% fee plus 30cents is just profit and they offer no service who wants to join a class action as charging a fee for no service is illegal

Login to Me Too

Cocoresort11
Contributor
Contributor

What the issue is  When it is eBay item, they did not clearly state how many days they hold the seller's money from their PayPal account without the item (not returned).

In my past expereience, we have to wait 30days. Still buyer did not return. Then, we have to call the CS and ask to closse the Return Request. This cuased total 45 days to get back the money.

We called eBay and some CS told that you just wait 10days and if the buyer still did not return, then, you should call. Some other CS tells that you should not do anything and after 30days, it will close automatically (It is wrong, anything automatically close, you have to call CS and ask to close the request). The eBay ways is very primitive way to handle . They have to give any specific period how many days the seller have to wait without their money and the product. Then, the period passed, they should close automatically and give the money back to the seller's account.

What the issue also is PayPal just tell "Oh it just because eBay dispute",NO,  This is not DISPUTE, just buyer changed mind and want to return.

I don't know how PayPal user agreement tells (How many days maximum PayPal can hold people's=seller's money without the money and product). If so,eboday knows, please give the URL.

Generally in online store market, when they received the buyer's Return, they give a refund. No merchant account company hold the seller's money without the returning product.

If PayPal depend on the time frame to eBay, PayPal should clearly describe how many days they can hold the seller's money without the item the seller sold.

Otherwise, the seller neither have no money nor product for more than 30days. It is not ordinally situation as a fund transfer company.

PayPal should clearly state the time frame.

Login to Me Too

Chad1978
New Community Member
This whole issue is absolutely ridiculous. I've had the same issue: - Buyer "alleged" item was not authentic, yet I provided many high res photos, clearly provided accurate description, they never once asked a question during the bidding, and then have buyers remorse and want a $500 refund and make a false claim - Despite the Buyer providing no evidence supporting their claim, PayPal agrees to refund - As part of the refund process, PayPal instructs the buyer to return the item with a confirmation number (which should be the protection to the Seller, and not release the refund until the signature confirmation is confirmed) - Yet, there is no record of me signing for the item, yet the customer got refunded! Has anyone tried seeking legal action on this type of issue? PayPal has deducted the $500 from my account, yet I never received my item back. The Buyer has flat out stolen from me. Why as Sellers do we not have any protection here? This would be like me going to any retail store with a receipt and trying to get a refund, yet I don't even have the product to give back to them, but say, "I have it, but just not with me..Ill bring it back later, but just need my refund now." I obviously wouldn't get a refund unless I provided the product, so why doesn't the same rules apply here??? It's basic common sense! If anyone has actually had a positive outcome in this let me know...As it stands my account is in the negative for this refund and PayPal is expecting me to credit the account to offset the refund, which why would I do when I never got my product?!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi Chad1978,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear what has happened on your account recently regarding a case that was filed against you. 

If this case has been closed, you should try reaching out to our claims team directly so that they can look into this further on your behalf to see if you can appeal the outcome of the case. This can be done by calling us directly on 0800 358 7911 and we can answer any questions that you have regarding your case.

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.