Paypal refunded buyer, but returned item not received.

johnnyha
New Community Member

I had a distpute with a buyer which paypal resolved by refunding the buyer's money on the basis that the item would be sent back.

The item has not been received, and when I have queried this, I am provided with a tracking number but no idea of the shipping service used, or the address sent to.

So the bottom line is that buyer may well still have the item but his money has been refunded. I don't know how to move on from this very frustrating position.

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

Willy1979
Contributor
Contributor

I went through something very similar. Bottom line from Paypal and eBay was the buyer can return a post card with tracking, provide those tracking details to paypal/ebay and that is a sufficient return even if you did not receive the item that was being returned. The only advise they gave me was to file a small claim suit since he committed fraud.

Buyers know how to work these companies and paypal/ebay have dealt with millions of these cases, so they know how to push the  buck. Fraud has become very common plce here and I would advise not listing anything that you can not risk getting paid for. With the high fees charged, you are better selling the low quality/low priced items on ebay and saving the higher quality and valued items for actual auctioneers. Ebay has become the inner city of internet sales and Paypal facilitates the fraud since they are basically the same company no matter what they claim now.

Login to Me Too

PPnotforsellers
New Community Member

Hi, I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this as I have exactly the same problem.

Sold a used item on ebay, the buyer complained that it was used though clearly stated in item description WITH pictures. I only agreed to settle dispute to refund money to get my item back and sell it again asap. Now more than three months have passed and I still have not received my item back.

It seems to me buyers can do whatever they want while I lose a signifcant amount of money and items. Next time, it'd be better just to through things in the trash, it's less hassle.

Login to Me Too

DomValladolid
New Community Member
I had an exact the same.problem. Yesterday, paypal closed a claim case and refunded the buyer but I haven't received my item at all. I called paypal to request a hold until I receive the item but was rejected saying that I need to resolve.the issue with the buyer. Why don't I get the same protection as a seller than a buyer ? Its a 500$ transaction , wasn't exactly peanuts were talking about here. If I don't receive the item by end of week, this is going to the consumers tribunal. I just don't understand that all I'm requesting is a hold until the item is received or even the buyer providing tracking information. .
Login to Me Too

Saaji04
New Community Member

Shame on paypal, they forgotten that they make money out of selleers not buyers 

Login to Me Too

jackedoffjeebs
Contributor
Contributor

Post edited (links removed) by Moderator as it does not comply with forum guidelines

go on these 2 sites mate you will find alot of info on how they operate

Login to Me Too

Northern-Soles
Contributor
Contributor
This one is PayPal at there finest... So I happen to live next to a nike outlet and bought some high end nike football boots RRP £220 listed them on eBay and got a buyer sent the item out all good so far... 1 week after the sale I get a message from the buyer stating I am a horrible thief and sold them counterfeit goods to which I offered to provide a full copy of the purchase receipt with codes that will match those on the boots box. They then explained how they walked into a nike store and a sales assistant fully dismantled the boots in front of them and showed how the goods where fake... Highley unlikely that a standard shop sale assistant would do this/know how to do this.. But ok I can love with that. I then asked if the nike store could contact myself or offer some form of proof that the boos had been destroyed etc and that I would be happy to assist them in the investigation of a uk nike store selling counterfeit goods to the public to which I got no reply. A case was then opened via PayPal this was all explained and proof of purchase was offered to help resolve the case. Approx 2 weeks later I receive a email from PayPal sat acting that payment has been awarded to the buyer bravo PayPal you have out done yourselves on this one and managed to offer little to no protection to a seller. Is it even worth having a payment option on my listings I might aswell just send out thousands of pounds in freebies. Advice from a PayPal representative Is welcome I would love to hear an explanation on this and I'm Sure the other sellers would be interested in you reply on this matter. Apologies for any spelling due to publishing this via iPhone. Regards Northern Soles
Login to Me Too

Rippedoffseller
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same exact thing happened. I'd love for a PayPal rep to explain how they don't follow any guidelines regarding requiring proof of an item being counterfeit. 

Login to Me Too

Willy1979
Contributor
Contributor
I just fell victim to this scam. I sold a 18k gold bracelet as scrap and when the buyer received it he claimed it was damaged and wanted a full refund. I asked him through eBay to return and I would refund in full. His response was he would submit a claim through PayPal so he didn't have to pay shipping to return a broken item. I can tell you in over 10 years I have never had a problem, but if PayPal sides with this buyer I will never again use this payment service.
Login to Me Too

OldAge99
Contributor
Contributor

Hello...I put online a diamond brooch..and the bidding was a scam and the bidder

spoilt others from purchasing as it was not paid for?.but one of the bidders

turned up later ..I put the brooch as buy now as I didn't want the same thing to happen

and within a nano second it was purchased by one of the bidders previously..

so it was paid for £700 sent off insured special delivery...

few days later he wanted a refund said he had it looked at in London strange as he lived

in Leceicester and said it had a repair..I didn't see it..and fair enough wanted a refund..

well I was so surprised and not wanting to offend I gave him a full refund...silly me

because I have since learned I shouldn't have done that ...I have had no comunication

from him as to when it will be sent back..I can't send a postage label

because the whole thing is closed....what do I do..I have tried all day to sort it out

i have given myself a headache ..I am an old fool..

Login to Me Too

secretdrawers

Hi,

I'd love to know the outcome to this.

I lost the plot with the claims team earlier, I am completely devastated! I sold a pair of chanel sunglasses via paypal, the buyer put a claim against me saying they were scratched when they werent- she sent a letter from vision express to paypal, who apparently said they were fake.

I have a receipt and letter of authenticity here- I never attached it in the first place as it wasnt a question of authenticity. Someone in vision express has got it wrong and I am in disbelief that they have instructed the buyer to destroy them for being counterfeit and they received a full refund.

I am willing to contact a solicitor as they said their executive team will review the case and contact me within 4-8 weeks. However, I havent been given the chance to attach a letter from the store with my receipt proving that they are legitimate.

Please can you give me any help or advice? I am devastated and it has cost me a clean fortune calling 084 numbers for more than an hour whilst I explain the situation to 5 different members of staff nevermind calling vision express head office!!

Seller protection is clearly does not protect any sellers....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.