PayPal withholding my money for 21 days.. So I'm withholding theirs.

shellsbells
Contributor
Contributor

Dear PayPal,

I am with-holding your money for 21 days or until you receive positive feedback, which judging from the internet and forums here, is not going to happen any time soon. I believe you to be an untrustworthy company and as such, I have blocked all your transactions from my main bank account.

They have also refunded money you attempted to take today, even though you have money of mine locked in my PayPal.

When you decide to do the honest thing and release my funds, I will think about releasing yours.

I will have no further involvement with paypal or ebay.

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Smiley Wink Bit silly for something that every ebay seller has been through.

I went through the hold same as every new seller and didn't mind as i understood why.

Also you rarely have to wait 21 days as if the buyer leaves feedback or tracking shows delivery then you get the payment sooner.

Its for buyer protection > if a seller refuses to refund a buyer for an item not received and paypal can't access funds in the sellers account then they refund the buyer themselves.

So to protect themselves and still be able to offer buyer protection they hang on to the funds of new sellers until they have a record of good performance.

Same as a bank will hold onto a "guarantee" sometimes for a loan.

And to be fair without buyer protection its doubtful we would sell our stuff in the first place as i for one as a buyer would not send money to a stranger without buyer protection.

Finally to be fair again the money is not ours until the buyer has received their item and is happy with it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

shellsbells
Contributor
Contributor

It's dishonest and disgraceful behaviour.. I would not pop into my local tesco, pick up a TV then tell them I will pay them in 21 days, if the object is suitable and I deem them trustworthy... I have previous 100% good feedback, but do PayPal care? No, I still have to prove myself to a company, which has lost numerous lawsuits regarding freezing peoples funds, so clearly this is not an entirely legal practice.. And you are silly if you think this is OK.

Login to Me Too

shellsbells
Contributor
Contributor
Also, I've had to cover all my postage costs myself, because being a single mother, I do not have a printer to print off your tickets, so have to go down post office.. I've been selling my kids old clothes for some money towards food and bills, which I can't access! Basically, you have forced me to use income support to pay postage costs as I can't let my buyers down! It's 2nd class postage not tracked as I can't afford tracked postage since you have locked my money!! I hope what goes around comes around and paypal and eBay get hit where it hurts, their pocket! I pray for an end to the bullying practices employed by this company.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well i doubt you would even have sold the clothes without ebay / paypal because as a buyer i would not send money to a stranger without a paypal account and buyer protection.

But as i said every ebay seller has been through it so why should you be exempt??

Most of us didn't mind as it reduces the risk of scam sellers getting through.

But it sounds as if paypal is not for you so i would advise closure of your paypal account and selling your clothes at the car boot sale, I sell stuff there as well and its pretty good.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

shellsbells
Contributor
Contributor
You are correct, paypal and eBay are not for me and I think that goes for a lot of other people judging by the amount of complaints about paypal on the Internet! I would love to close down my paypal but can't as they have my money. When they finally release it, I'm another customer gone, not that paypal care.... 😉 as for any other means of selling there are plenty out there so I can't understand why people stick with the corrupt eBay/paypal anyway! I for one am looking into amazon etc. I just think the public have a right to know about these practices and should be informed well in advance.
Login to Me Too

D122
New Community Member

You kernowlass are an ignorant, selfish fool. Whatever you think about these thieves with-holding money that does not belong to them in any shape or form, you have no right to insult people that do not agree with your arrogant attitudes. Who do you think you are. The goods i have sold were sold in good faith and the buyers were very happy with them, so, considering the property was mine to sell not Ebay or Paypal's then on what planet do these organisations have the right to behave as if the products are theirs. They have been quick enough to take their fee's whilst holding on to MY MONEY in order to line their own pockets with interest that belongs to me.

As soon as the release my funds they can both stick their accounts where the sun don't shine. My M.P. is in agreement with the views of me and the thousands of other people that these practises are wrong, immoral and possibilly illegal. 

You are insulting to us all but you have no right to be demeaning to the single mother who sold her goods in good faith so if you can't be fair or helpful just don't comment.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I am as entitled to my views as you are, the difference is that i explain how it works, why paypal hold the funds and how to get them released more quickly.

I went through the hold as did EVERY other seller on ebay and was happy to do so as it protected buyers.

Thanks for proving my point in that selling is not for everyone and if you don't agree to the user agreement that said you did agree with when you opened your account then by all means close your account.

More buyers for me and everyone else that is happy to sell on ebay.     Smiley Happy 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bfb
I never went through this, the money always went straight through for me. I completely agree with all the people who are complaining about this and your holier than thou attitude is the same sort of BS I'd expect from someone answering the phone at paypal. If you have an account with paypal, they can withdraw funds from your bank account if needs be, there is no need for them to hold onto YOUR money for 21 days.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

attitude is the same sort of BS I'd expect from someone answering the phone at paypal.

Guess you don't understand the word volunteer, i don't answer phones as I DON'T WORK FOR PAYPAL.

My so called attitude is from me being an ebay seller that has been through the hold. Myself and other power sellers never minded as it was for buyer protection and as we need buyers we saw it as a necessary process.

If you have an account with paypal, they can withdraw funds from your bank account if needs be, there is no need for them to hold onto YOUR money for 21 days.

Yet again you are incorrect, getting a habit isn't it. They can't take funds from your bank account unless you authorise it eg when you pay OR when you say they can take it to pay ebay fees.

They can't take it if you have withdrawn a buyers payment to your bank account, all they can do is pay the buyer back themselves and then put your account into negative until you pay them back again.

That is the whole point of the hold, to save them having to refund buyers from new sellers that have not built up a good reputation and may not clear a negative balance.

Most ebay sellers understand this and so they also go through the hold as per the user agreement you agree to when you join............others like you ..........don't understand.

Also i NEVER waited 21 days, the most i waited was around a week as i sent the items trackable and the funds were released when  the item was delivered + 3 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.