Help - Reversal

pete1951
New Community Member

Hi

I sold something on eBay and the buyer paid straight away but the payment was reversed immediatey. I could see the payment had been credited then taken back out of my paypal account. I contacted the buyer to tell her this and she paid again and it went through fine. So I posted the item and she has left me positive eBay feedback  - so there are no problems with the goods.

However, the buyer has now contacted me to say she has paid twice and can see two payments on her bank statement and so is asking me to refund her - but I have only been paid the once, as the first one was reversed.

I presume she needs to query the matter via her own bank/paypal? I suspect she is looking to me to provide the easy route as it is a relatively small amount of money - if she decides to turn nasty over it I understand buyers have more rights and I would be better off just cutting my losses and refunding her?

Any advice?

Thanks

Peter

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi pete1951,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting. 

If the original payment from the buyer did go through to your account and was then reversed it would still come out of her account.  Without seeing the account I couldn't say why it was reversed but any payment sent begins processing so it would come from her bank account. 

What will happen though is that the additional payment will go to her balance, so she will have it available on PayPal.

Since it has been a while I would guess that you have made a decision on refunding but as the buyer has only made one payment we would confirm that for her if she was to get in touch. To protect yourself as a seller it's best to make sure that you always use tracked shipping. If a case is opened that is what we would request from you. 

I hope this answers your questions. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.