Despatched Goods Didn't Arrive!

Stitch-Up
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

First post on the forum and I'm seking some guidance please.

We print clothing to order through our website. We offer various options for postage to overseas customers, e.g. Standard Airmail that cannot be tracked and a fully trackable option that obviously costs more. The choice is for the purchaser to make and unsurprisingly, the non-tracked option is by far the norm.

We give guidance for orders that are of greater value:

Delivery Methods

All orders are sent using UK Royal Mail. International orders are sent using air mail. Please note that we cannot track orders unless you select a "signed for" service. In most cases standard mail arrives fast and securely, however if you are placing a large order or have a shared postal address we suggest you use a "signed for" service as we cannot guarantee delivery otherwise.

So we receive an order of £74 value and the US customer decides to choose a non-tracked delivery option.

We despatch the goods and have proof of posting from the post office. The goods don't arrive.

So my question:

If the customer raises a dispute, will Paypal find in the customer's favour and refund the purchase price?

I have offered to replace the garments but as we're in the middle of a move, there will be a delay of maybe a week before we could despatch also, would it be fair to ask the customer to pay for a tracked delivery service?

I would just like to hear opinions on:

1. Based on the facts, will Paypla refund the customer?

2. Am I being fair in asking the customer to pay toward the postal costs of the replacement package.

Many thanks

John

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If the customer raises a dispute, will Paypal find in the customer's favour and refund the purchase price?

Yes you will have to refund the buyer their original payment including postage costs ie a full refund.

It does not matter what you put on your website re not guaranteeing delivery if you use paypal then you have to abide by their terms and conditions.

Tracking is for your protection and not the buyers. If an item gets lost in the post and you sent it trackable you can refund the buyer and then claim from your courier.

If you choose to send untracked that is fine but it is at your own risk and not the buyers.

After all if you bought an item and it did not turn up you would want a full refund wouldn't  you.  Smiley Wink

Although if you have offered to send a replacement i wonder why the buyer has opened a dispute in the first place??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Stitch-Up
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for the reply and definative answer.

No dispute has been raised and I don't want that - I've offered to produce the goods and despatch them on Monday. I can't be more reasonable than that.

Many thanks once again.

John

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sounds fair enough  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.