Credit card Charge back

jain236
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i made a purchase on ebay for gift card. the seller seems to be reputed and has good feedback and this one of the reason i tried. but when i received the gift care they were empty with no balance, and paypal closed the case in the seller favour as the gift cards doesn't covered by paypal.

so i am thinking to open a charge back request as i paid thorugh my credit card from paypal. my question is when i charge back the transaction , does the credit card company will use the same evidence from the paypal? and close the case aganist me or they will do their own investigation?

also if Credit company reverts the funds, will it retrieve the funds from sellers account or paypal will bear the loss.

any other helpful suggestions are appreciated as the amount is around £1500

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jain236

The criteria of getting your money back via paypal and then again with your card company are totally different.

You are far more likely to be successful going via your card company so personally I would say go for it.

If you win then the seller has to pay you back BUT if they met ALL the requirements of seller protection then paypal ''may'' reimburse them again.

For that amount of money I would be filing a chargeback asap   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jain236
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for info, much appreciate,

i am confused with paypal protection when buyer is not protected for gift cards how can seller will be protected for selling the gift cards.

its not fair...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jain236

Can't really comment on why as I have absolutely nothing to do with paypal itself.

I just like to help the ''users'' of paypal as an ebay seller myself.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jain236
Contributor
Contributor

haha.. i completely understand , after that comment i did some digging on paypal and both buyer and seller are not protected in case of gift cards... in these case if chargeback arises from buyer paypal will hold/retrive the money from seller account.as it is not protected as per paypal policy.

i would really like to get my money back from the seller is that he is taunting me as the paypal case is closed in his favour and i am helpless

i have initiated charge back from my credit card company and i was told i will get the money in 24hrs ,

once again thanks for the help

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jain236

Let us know how you get on.

BUT as there is no seller protection for gift cards then if you win the chargeback THE SELLER WON'T BE REIMBURSED by paypal as there is no seller protection  !!!!!!!!!

So his paypal account will be put into negative and limited until he pays paypal back again............    Smiley Very Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jain236
Contributor
Contributor

Just to give more idea and you may be able to throw some light on this .it was very strange , it may help someone to help

1) I found listing for some gift cards, seller was there on eBay sin 2007 and had good feedback, I won the bidding for the item and paid immediately.

2) item marked as dispatched and we received 2 covers in post both signed for. My wife open the cover and found the no gift card are there only empty envelop in there, and then opened the other cover which has wrong flat number but as postman knows us he gave both to us. and we see 4 cards (as per seller description) . we checked the balance on the cards none of the cards are active and had 0 balance

3) sent eBay message to seller and sent all photos to him/her. He mentioned that he put 4 empty cards in one cover and 4 cards in the other cover but he was surprised to know that I received only 4 cards, but I received both covers as per him

4) he mentioned that he is sorting out this with post office and gift card company and asked to wait for 2 days. Later he mentioned that it is going to take a while the post office look into the issue and asked me to open case on eBay.

5) after discussion with eBay I was advised my money is safe and eBay asked to raise a return request which I did.

6) next day morning I received email to my PayPal email id , saying the he doesn’t to bother me and happy to issue refund and he cannot issue refund while case is open on eBay and asked to close the case and seller will issue. I being stupid without thinking and believing the sellers good feedback and reputation  I closed the case , since then I did not received any communication from that email and the seller. And to my surprise all the response to email stated bouncing saying email id not found.

7) later while on the way to my home I got eBay notification on my mobile say sus pious activity on my account and asked me to change the pwd. After changing the password , my gift card listing was removed from the purchased history. After chasing the eBay they mentioned due to un authorised activity they removed the listing and later they restored, but by then I have closed the case in the morning and eBay said as I have closed the case they cannot re open it and asked me to pursue it with PayPal, which I did,.

😎 seller raised the claim to dispute and put some blatant lies in the comment and case went in the hands of PayPal and they decided against to as it was gift card purchase(though they did not mentioned reason).

9) only option left for me is to chargeback the transaction with my credit card.

10 ) today morning I checked the both covers and I can see that seller really did not put cards in one of the cover as the weight on the cover with card is 0.08 and cover without cards is 0.035.

Highlights in the process,

1) email from seller asking me to close the case and later replies to email kept bouncing .

2) I being stupid closed the case without verifying the authencity of the email.

3) seller was pretending very and supportive on the eBay but on PayPal he added bold lies.

4) weights of the covers.

5) unauthorised use of my ebay account.

Login to Me Too

jain236
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass i got my money from CC chargeback.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jain236

Smiley Happy

Don't think your seller will be gloating now then     Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.