Cancelled payment, refund not being issued

geescaife
Contributor
Contributor
I was paying my friend some money through and she told me the wrong email address, and she realised after I had already sent the payment. So I sent the money again using the right email address (all cleared and gone through fine) and within the hour I cancelled the payment to the wrong email address (it was still unclaimed so I'm not sure that email address is actually in use anyway), we are now on the 9th working day and my refund is still pending, and it is being reviewed. Please can someone tell me how long this is going to take as I need the money in my account rather than just sat there. I have just successfully refunded money from a website I use where my money was in my wallet there and it has instantly gone through PayPal and into my bank, but this is taking even longer. It is a debit account I am using, why are you keeping my money for so long PayPal? There is only me involved in this the other person left the money unclaimed, as I say I'm not even sure that the email is in use as it's unique
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geescaife

As this is a user to user help form and not paypal customer services then "we" are not holding anything, all  we do is try and help you >>

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source.

This is done so you get your item more quickly.

So when you cancel that payment  those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes up to 5-7 business days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

geescaife
Contributor
Contributor
It's been 9 business days, do yiu know who I can contact
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geescaife

Do you know what business days are? 5-7 business days =  about 9 days so odds are it should clear soon.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

geescaife
Contributor
Contributor
I've just googled it and it says business days are working days lol
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geescaife

Correct so 5-7 business days is approx 9 days. So hopefully it should clear soon.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.