BuyerI raised dispute after having item for over 1 1/2 months

miamonkey
New Community Member

I've just had a dispute raised by a buyer who after having an item for a month and a half, now says the otem is not as described.  I listed the jewellery which had been bought as a present and described it as per the hallmarks etc on the jewellery (I am not a jeweller).  She is now saying that its not what I said it was.  Do I have to refund?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@miamonkey

If paypal find in your buyers favour then they will have to send the item back to you first before you have to refund.

So you can agree a refund and ask the buyer to return it or you can wait for paypal to make a decision if your buyer escalates a dispute to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tammyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I have just read that your buyer raised a dispute after a month and a half, now I don't know about anyone else but I would personally say, there is something seriously wrong with the system if customers are allowed to raise a dispute after such a huge length of time, I find it incomprehensible, even the consumers right act updated to protect consumers further in 2015 only states the buyers of new goods have a right to ask for a refund if goods are not as described and I believe the time limit has to be with a reasonable frame or scale, and again the shop is not obliged to refund, more the case that they have to assist you in whatever your complaint is to try to resolve it amicably, but a month and a half later that is just ridiculous, It seems to me that PayPal but especially eBay are making up rules that far exceed even the governments guidelines and rules and that can surely only end in all the sellers losing so much so often, that eventually they take their business to someone who is not going to take fees and still always rule in favour of these what can only be described as spoilt little scammers (otherwise called customers) by eBay and PayPal it is it seems a licence for criminals to rip off sellers left right and centre without consequences of any kind... It seems to me to be a shambles and can surely only some day be superseded by a fairer system devised by a disgruntled and frustrated seller who starts their own Auction site with better and fairer rules for all as this clearly is weighted in favour of the scammers, so well done eBay/PayPal it is only a matter of time before some wise owl knocks you from your pedestal and cleans up where you have failed miserably for far too long!!!

Best regards

Tammy

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tammyjane

Paypal allows a buyer up to 180 days to file a paypal dispute for 'non receipt of item' OR 'item received but not as described'.

This is exactly the same time scale that most credit cards give their buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.