Buyer lied to get their money back because they over paid for the item on ebay auction

MM02
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold a Mulberry handbag on ebay. I listed the item with lots of very clear and detailed photos and described the bag as used. It was in excellent condition and had no damage to it whatsoever. The bag originally cost £395 in a sale from Mulberry over 4 years ago. The winning bidder paid £569. They didn't ask any questions until after the sale where they requested the original receipt to be sent with the bag.

I sent it special delivery, wrapped and packaged well in bubble wrap, and the buyer messaged me after they received it saying the leather was in very bad condition and the bag was damaged. I tried to reason with the buyer as best as possible but they requested a refund and raised a case with ebay who obviously favoured the buyers request and advised them to return the item.

Now the photos CLEARLY show the condition of the bag and in the listing I explained the condition and also mentioned that the metal work was worn and had some scratches but the leather was in very good condition for a used bag. When I spoke to an ebay advisor they also agreed with me that the photos were detailed and they could not see anything wrong.

I messaged the buyer and said that if the bag was damaged then it has happened after I sent it so either the buyer damaged it or it was damaged in transit. I contacted Royal Mail and filled out a form to claim that the bag was damaged during delivery but they said they need the original packaging. I mentioned this to the buyer but they have been ignoring my messages and haven't replied.

I have now received the bag and luckily it is in the same condition it was sent in and there is no damage to it at all. It seems to me the buyer was upset that they over paid and decided to claim it was damaged.

The problem I have now is that ebay have still charged me a final value fee and a return fee and I have been charged by paypal which all comes to a total of £86!! Ebay have also said that I will have a negative mark against my account because I sold an item that wasn't as described!!!

I have contacted ebay many times regarding this and even though they agree that the photos show the item is not damaged they refuse to help any further and keep fobbing me off. Also they said they are due to take the full amount of the bag and the return fee from my account in the next 10 days. At the moment I don't have that kind of money in my account and I don't get paid until after the 10 days!!!! Again ebay don't care about this.

How is any of this fair when I have done nothing wrong???

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As for the ebay fees your best bet is to ask on the ebay boards, i think you can use the mutually agreed cancellation to get your final value fee credit but you need to ask on there as i am not sure.

As for paypal fees surely they were credited back to you when you used the "refund" option to refund the buyer??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MM02
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't refund the buyer, ebay did.

The reason I am putting this on here is because I spoke to Paypal and they said to close the case on ebay and raise it with paypal instead for them to investigate. I have spoken to ebay and they said the case is already closed but paypal say it's still open and they can't do anything until it is closed?!?!?

Login to Me Too

MM02
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the no reply. This service is brilliant!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

We are volunteers on here. The "service" I give is in my own time after work. 

As your dispute was with ebay then its best to ask on the ebay boards as advised instead of being rude at the only reply i could possibly give you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.