Buyer has told bank the payment wasn't authorised and I'm now in a negative balance.

SB0510
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sold an item via eBay and sent it the next day. His address was confirmed on Paypal. Arrived with buyer, buyer gave me good feedback. Then I get a message from Paypal 2 weeks later to say the buyer has gone to his bank and told them he didnt authorise the payment. Absolutly livid as im now -£158.00 in my paypal balance as his payment is on hold.

Ive given my supporting evidence to Paypal including the delivery refrence number so I can see it has deffinitely been delivered.

Im just worried im now going to have all of that money taken out of my bank account. Has anyone else been in the same boat that could tell me what the end result was? Im just so angry

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SB0510

Why not contact the buyer first as it may be a mistake.

I had this once and the buyers card had been stolen so the bank stopped all transactions around the time it was stolen, when the buyer realised she paid me again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SB0510
Contributor
Contributor

Will contact him now and ask whats happened. Hopefully its something totally innocent like your situation. Thankyou 

Login to Me Too

Missing_Lincs
New Community Member

My best advice is not to use PayPal to accept payments.

You can loose your money in an instant and I'm not convinced those deciding the case understand and are often keen to 'protect' the buyer (as the main company ebay does by not letting you negatively rate buyers).

Use bank transfer to get paid, it's free and much, much harder to reverse.

It's just a shame now that you can't remove the PayPal part from listings.

Best of luck getting your money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Missing_Lincs

Trouble with bank transfer is that their is 0 buyer protection.

As a buyer I would never send funds to a stranger in the hope I will get my item.

So if a seller offers bank transfer or paypal then i go for paypal everytime.

As a seller I prefer to have the odd bad transaction via paypal than not sell anything using bank transfer.

But each to his own i guess.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SB0510
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, sorry just to clarify, the payment was via Paypal. The buyer has now gone to their bank and reported the paypal transaction as unauthorised. Therefor it has come back to me and has come out of my paypal account. Hope that makes sense.

**sorry just read the thread again, thankyou for your comments.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SB0510

ok then if he has filed an 'unauthorised dispute' then what he is saying is that his paypal account was hacked and used without his consent.

If paypal find this was not true (via IP numbers) etc then he may lose.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.