security key

kevrig
Contributor
Contributor
Can someone tell me what my security key is? I keep getting asked by computer to add it on?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES 10

londonbigbear
New Community Member

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't explain what a security key is, or how to get one!

Login to Me Too

Vigracela
I am having same problems
Login to Me Too

Teddie
Contributor
Contributor
I am also having the same problems. My password is being rejected and I'm being asked: Please add the number on your security key to the end of the password to login. But I have not been issued a security key, there is not information on the page what one is, and finding it impossible to work out what one is or how I get one for the PayPal website.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi everyone,

A Security Key is a randomly generated 6-digit code that you can use as an extra layer of security, along with your password, to protect your PayPal account. If you choose to use a Security Key, you'll be prompted to enter the code whenever you log into your account, either by including it at the end of your password or on a secondary login page.

There are 3 ways of getting a Security Key:

• A free app for your smartphone or desktop will generate a code for you every time you open it
  • Request a code to be sent to your mobile by text each time you want to login
  • Get a physical credit-card size Security Key that will generate a code each time you want to login (a one-time fee of £20 applies) 

The easiest way to get a Security Key is by downloading the app. You can do this by searching for the “VIP Access” app in your app store or going directly to the Symantec VeriSign website.

Once you've downloaded the app, you need to active it in your PayPal account. Here’s how:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click 'Profile' near the top of the page.
  3. Select 'My Account Settings'.
  4. In the Security Key section, click 'Get Started'.
  5. Click 'Get security key'.
  6. Click 'Activate your PayPal or VIP (VeriSign Identity Protection) token'.
  7. Enter your VIP Access Credentials ID in the Serial Number box, and then enter two 6-digit codes. 

Alternatively, you can use your mobile phone to request a 6-digit Security Key code in a text message.

Here's how to register your phone to get the Security Key code by text.

6. Click 'Register your mobile phone'.
  7. Enter your mobile phone number twice, and then click 'Register'.
  8. Once you've registered your phone, we'll send you a text message with a code. Enter the code to activate your mobile for Security Key. 

Lastly, you can order a physical Security Key. Here's how:

6. Click 'Order a credit-card size Security Key'.
  7. Select the number of Security Key cards you want to order (they cost £20 each and you can request up to 5 per account).
  8. Click 'Place Order'.

You’ll receive your Security Key within 10 working days.

I hope this information helps, please let us know if there is anything more we can help you with.

David.

Login to Me Too

Teddie
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks David In can understand those instructions, but something is definitely not working with the standard mobile checkout pages. A free app for your smartphone or desktop will generate a code for you every time you open it -get this one, being a die hard Steve jobs fan the hates the new apple iOS interface I am not upgrading to iOS 7 so can't use it. Request a code to be sent to your mobile by text each time you want to login - on the main PayPal homepage login the (send SMS) button appears fine and I have no problems. However where it is an issue is when trying to complete a purchase when I've been emailed the payment link, because on the 'mobile friendlier' screen there is no (send SMS) button, so users can't get a security key. That is my problem. The phone is all registered correctly but there is something wrong with some versions of your checkout/payment pages. Get a physical credit-card size Security Key that will generate a code each time you want to login (a one-time fee of £20 applies) - this,seems unnecessary if the payment passes worked.
Login to Me Too

Teddie
Contributor
Contributor
This is the example paynow payment URL which has no send SMS option and doesn't work (I've changed some if the details to false values before sharing it): https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?amount=5.00&return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.0.com%2Fsell%2Fpurchases&... note. - using safari on an iPad Or iphone
Login to Me Too

cobb04
New Community Member

Did you ever get an answer for this as its doing my nut.

I've emailed paypal help desk and they didn't even both to reply

Like you i understand the security code thing when logging on to paypal but if you are directed to paypal by a trader it doesnt give you the option to send the security code to your phone!

All it does is reject your log in saying "add the security code to the end of your password"

How can you add this is it is not sent to you.

If you managed to solve this please tell me how to do it.

The only way I've managed to circumnavigate this is to actually remove the security code from my account but obviously this removes that extra security

I hope you can help

Thanks

Login to Me Too

CoffinDodger
New Community Member

TLDR: Use "Request Desktop Site" option in your mobile browser.

Had to post here as this thread helped me think through the problem and work around it to complete the payment.

Was still getting the same problem on iPad and iPhone IOS8 being asked to append the security key to my password when there was no button to request one.

I'm using the Chrome IOS browser but you can probably do the same with Safari.

When you get asked to append the security key tap the options icon (a vertical set of 3 dots on Chrome) and choose "Request Desktop Site".

This then reloaded the page, displaying the button to request the SMS, which promptly arrived and allowed me to log in and complete the payment.

Spent a couple of hours of my life faffing around trying to solve this one! Grrrr!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.