What information do I need to give a buyer for them to pay me?

Hippo1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm new to selling things online and have a buyer who wants me to give them my PayPal email address, phone number and full PayPal name, pick up address, final price, and the items name.

The address I realise I obviously need to give them, but I was under the impression I only needed to give them my email address for them to pay me first. They already have my phone number (it was on the advert), not sure why they need my full PayPal name, I've already quoted the price several times and the item name - well, that was on the advert too.

The buyer is not picking the item up in person but is sending someone else.

Is this all legitimate or should I be wary?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hippo1

Read my post again, you have 0 seller protection for items that are personally collected or delivered.

So i would never accept paypal for those items.

The buyer could pay you > you transfer it to your bank account > they collect the item and then they file a paypal dispute for non receipt of item.

As paypal ONLY accept a tracking number to prove an item has been delivered then you would lose and have to pay the buyer back again or risk losing your paypal account and the 'debt' sold to a debt agency.

So i would tell everyone 'cash on collection' only, then that would stop the scammers contacting you again.

This sounds like a typical scam, they never want to see the item and always say they are sending their own courier.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hippo1

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM, READ THE BELOW SO YOU ARE AWARE HOW IT WORKS  >>

They encourage you to use paypal and often don't quibble on price OR want to view the item and always arrange their own courier.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping the 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg moneygram or western union.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any items personally collected or delivered..
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Hippo1
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Thank you very much for your quick response.

The item is collection only (it's a pram), and I've had two potential buyers both say it's a gift / surprise for someone and neither can collect in person. I won't be giving my address out till I receive payment and it's transferred to my bank account no matter who I sell to, but the details they asked for all seemed a little too much.

If it's just the email address I should give them then I will stick to that in future.

Naively I didn't think selling online would be such a minefield!

Thanks again

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hippo1

Read my post again, you have 0 seller protection for items that are personally collected or delivered.

So i would never accept paypal for those items.

The buyer could pay you > you transfer it to your bank account > they collect the item and then they file a paypal dispute for non receipt of item.

As paypal ONLY accept a tracking number to prove an item has been delivered then you would lose and have to pay the buyer back again or risk losing your paypal account and the 'debt' sold to a debt agency.

So i would tell everyone 'cash on collection' only, then that would stop the scammers contacting you again.

This sounds like a typical scam, they never want to see the item and always say they are sending their own courier.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Hippo1
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

I will update my advert to cash only and steer clear of PayPal then.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.