What data is shared when paying with Paypal?

ronandoyle30
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what details are shared with a vendor when making a payment using Paypal?

For instance, if I purchase an item on a webstore using Paypal, will the vendor receive my Paypal username, my full name and last name, my email address, and any other details?

Any help much appreciated.

Ronan

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_paula

Hi Ronandoyle30 and welcome :), 

When you purchase something using your PayPal account we will only share with them the information they need. Your email address is shared as this is where the payment shows as coming from. We also need to share your name and address so your seller can post your item to you correctly.  No other information is shared with a website or a seller. 

Thanks for posting 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

ronandoyle30
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks Paula. And if they don't need your name and address (eg if you're purchasing a service rather than a product) is your name and address still shared?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi ronandoyle30, this can depend on how the sellers/merchants website. Some that offer services have theirs set up to not request the address however some will have this set up to request it. In most cases your address is sent with your payment in case your seller is posting something. 

Hope this helps

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.