WRONG CARD USED!

willste01
Contributor
Contributor

I am actually furious right now. My friend wanted to order an Oculus rift and used my paypal account. We added his card and address.

Set up the order with the correct payment card.

Paypal have used MY credit card for the transaction of £399.. How is this even possible when we selected his card at the time?

It was a preapproved payment and there is no mention of anything failing. I tried to make a dispute and as usual the useless paypal system instantly puts a dispute about the buyer I am not disputing the transaction im disputing the card Paypal has took it upon itself to use!  It appears there is no way to actually put forward a help request to a human being!!

Can the transaction be changed? I have already told my credit card company the transaction is not authorised and to charge it back.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@willste01

Firstly paypal would not have used a card if that card had not been verified with the 4 digit code (if it wasn't, you didn't say).

Secondly paypal is a personal account in your name (unless you have a business?) and as such it has to be a card in your name.

Its against paypal rules to add another persons card to your paypal account. The cards billing address has to match your paypal account address.

Thirdly as that card would not be used due to the reason above then paypal would use the card on your paypal account that was able to be used.

You can't open a paypal dispute for 'I used the wrong card' so your only option is to do as you have done and do a chargeback directly with your card issuer. Then its the card company that make the decision on the chargeback and not paypal.

However if it is a chargeback then the person who the chargeback is against ie the person you paid will get a £14 processing fee to pay. It would have been a lot easier if you had just asked the seller to refund you the payment.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@willste01

Firstly paypal would not have used a card if that card had not been verified with the 4 digit code (if it wasn't, you didn't say).

Secondly paypal is a personal account in your name (unless you have a business?) and as such it has to be a card in your name.

Its against paypal rules to add another persons card to your paypal account. The cards billing address has to match your paypal account address.

Thirdly as that card would not be used due to the reason above then paypal would use the card on your paypal account that was able to be used.

You can't open a paypal dispute for 'I used the wrong card' so your only option is to do as you have done and do a chargeback directly with your card issuer. Then its the card company that make the decision on the chargeback and not paypal.

However if it is a chargeback then the person who the chargeback is against ie the person you paid will get a £14 processing fee to pay. It would have been a lot easier if you had just asked the seller to refund you the payment.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

willste01
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

It was all verified. I never knew that about the card so thank you for that information. I do believe they should not then allow you to add anothe card thought with another name and address ( I was able to do that)

I was tired this morning and just angry. I have cancelled the dispute and sorted the issue out myself.

Thanks for your advise.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.