Strange eCheque email (sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

Significance
New Community Member

Hey guys, 

Appologies if this is in the wrong section of the forums but I didn't want to bother PayPal support, I'm 90% sure this is a scam/phishing email but I just thought I'd check as it's a bit of a weird one & it came in my real inbox as opposed to spam. 

It read as something similar to the following

Subject line, your eCheuque payment has cleared.

Dear Emailremoved at domain.com The £119.00 GBP eCheque payment you made to cmurchieat ntlworld.com (I've never heard of this person) has cleared.
Here are the details:

Then proceeded to show me the same information again with an option to "download the eCheque"

The warning signs were that it had put dear "your email" rather than dear "your name" I thought Paypal always adressed by name?

Also when clicking the paypal name to expand sender details, the email adress was listed as tecezunu at epay.com

I've not heard of ePay? I have no idea what it is or why they would be posing as Paypal.

Despite being somewhat certain that this is a scam, I just thought I'd check as I couldn't find anything at all on google. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Sophie

Hi Significance,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forum and apologies for the delayed response on this.

You're right - it definitely sounds like this email wasn't sent by PayPal. As you've mentioned, we will always address you by your full name when contacting you, and it also sounds like the email address showing when you clicked on the 'expand' button was not actually a PayPal one, which is a telltale sign of a phishing email.

If you didn't take any action from this email, such as clicking a link within it and providing your personal information, you don't need to take any further action. If you did, you may want to update your PayPal password and security questions, as a precaution. You can delete this email and block the sender, but if you still have a copy of it, we would appreciate if you could forward it to us at spoof@paypal.co.uk.

Thank you again for making us aware of this 🙂

Sophie

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.