Setting up sub-accounts

Ian-1947
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the process of helping an educational charity set up a PayPal business account, primarily to collect membership fees and other payments from 1,400 or so members, with access by two committee members.  This on its own is no problem.  However this charity has some 50 or so interest groups within it, and members of each group will occasionally be paying in money in relation to activities carried out by that specific group.

Ideally what we'll need is some mechanism for identifying which group what payments are from.  It doesn't matter that payments are swept into the one main account, but it's important that we know which group payments are in relation to.  Can this be done with sub-accounts, each identifiable with a unique email address?  For example the charity itself might have an account "mycharity.payments @ xyz.com"; is it possible to have each group identified with an email address such as "mycharity.payments.group1 @ xyz.com", "mycharity.payments.group2 @ xyz.com", etc., so an audit trail would be immediately visible? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi there Ian-1947.

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for reaching out to us in regards to getting your charity account activated on PayPal.

Firstly, you could add some different email addresses on PayPal to receive funds for subscriptions or membership. There is a limit on this of 8 email addresses active on a PayPal account at any stage. This is the current requirement that is set.

You could create a separate PayPal account for each different group but the only thing with this is that you may be required to verify each account. Based on what you have advised, this may not be possible due to all of the interest groups being linked to one main charity. 

Another possibility would be to use one primary email address for receiving all of the different interest group payments. Then with each payment, you could ask for a different reference number to be included so that you could keep track of which payments are for each interest group.

I hope this helps to give some further clarification on how you could integrate PayPal with your website. If there is anything more that we can help you with, please let us know.

David.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi there Ian-1947.

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for reaching out to us in regards to getting your charity account activated on PayPal.

Firstly, you could add some different email addresses on PayPal to receive funds for subscriptions or membership. There is a limit on this of 8 email addresses active on a PayPal account at any stage. This is the current requirement that is set.

You could create a separate PayPal account for each different group but the only thing with this is that you may be required to verify each account. Based on what you have advised, this may not be possible due to all of the interest groups being linked to one main charity. 

Another possibility would be to use one primary email address for receiving all of the different interest group payments. Then with each payment, you could ask for a different reference number to be included so that you could keep track of which payments are for each interest group.

I hope this helps to give some further clarification on how you could integrate PayPal with your website. If there is anything more that we can help you with, please let us know.

David.

Login to Me Too

Ian-1947
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your reply David.

Based on what you say, I think the only way we can proceed is to use reference numbers to identify what payment is for which particular event by any given interest group.  It shouldn't be hard to enable this to be done automatically using a simple script on the web page which describes the event.

If, when the time comes to get this account set up, there are any further issues which I can't resolve myself, I'll post a further question here. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

That's no problem at all. Please let us know if there is anything that we can help you with in future.

David.

Login to Me Too

Bossaloba
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to set up a separate account within PayPal. I host an event once a year, and people send PayPal payments to me for tickets. I would like to move those payments to an account out of my main PayPal balance to a sub-account, so that I can keep and track all the payments for this event in one place. How can I do this? Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.