Paypal account for my 13 year old son who is earning small amounts online (gaming)

pmc1709
Contributor
Contributor

My son is a bit of an entrepreneur and has been earning small amounts online which is being paid into my Paypal account and I give him the cash. It is fine but I think it would be better for the payments to go directly to him (cutting me out as the "middle man").

Is there a paypal account I can set up in his name as an under 18 year old. I don't want to get into trouble with the tax man- this is not my earnings but my son's so he is exempt from paying taxes or NI at his age. Please can anyone advise?

Many thanks

PMC1709

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

pmc1709
Contributor
Contributor
Ok. I thought there was such a thing as a child's PayPal but under the umbrella if the parents account. I must have misread this. Maybe it was only in the US (?) Would be a lot easier if I was not having to "accept" every $1 payment being made to my son online. Oh well. Guess there is no child's version if PayPal after all. I am sure I read about Student accounts too (?) Thanks for your response though.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmc1709

You have to be 18 to open a paypal account, if he opens one underage it will be limited and he may not then be able to open one when he is 18.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

pmc1709
Contributor
Contributor
Ok. I thought there was such a thing as a child's PayPal but under the umbrella if the parents account. I must have misread this. Maybe it was only in the US (?) Would be a lot easier if I was not having to "accept" every $1 payment being made to my son online. Oh well. Guess there is no child's version if PayPal after all. I am sure I read about Student accounts too (?) Thanks for your response though.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmc1709

There used to be student accounts in the U.S but Paypal has even stopped those now.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pmc1709
Contributor
Contributor
It's a shame. Thanks though
Login to Me Too

Viper2
New Community Member

Please I am so sorry for posting this but I am in need can i get help.

Please anything is appreciated Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.