Payment pending

mellymoo6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - long story! Posted a gold & diamond necklace on e-bay. Received an email if I would post to Nigeria - said yes. Notified by e-mail from Paypal was made £380. It is pending. Received another from "Paypal" requesting a tracking number before funds could be cleared. Am obviously being asked to post item before receiving cleared payment. It was a fake Paypal page & I've forwarded it to spoof. Keep getting frantic email from purchaser in Lagos insisting money has left his paypal account - its not cleared in mine. Is he a scammer or have we both ben scammed. Obviously not going to post item til money clears. Trying to SPEAK to someone @ Paypal but cannot uncover an actual phone number. Very stressed. Advice please ?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mellymoo6

Firstly would you really risk selling a high cost item internationally?? If you can't prove delivery of the item to the buyer (which you can't in some countries) then they can file non receipt and you would be forced to refund them.

Secondly I guess you can't have seen the zillion scams coming from Nigeria, try googling Paypal and Nigeria.  >>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and may ask you to send the item internationally often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.
They also sometimes threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mellymoo6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - thanks for your advice. Have twigged its a scam & forwarded emails to Paypal spoof - obis not going to post item. Just getting emails from "distraught " customer " Fred White" in Lagos lool. Have put all correspondence in a folder. Paypal haven't got back to me but FAKE Paypal have. Real paypal haven't contacted me & I can't contact them.  I really don't need this. Should I delete all correspondence or can I keep in a separate file ? I've got no income  -theyre welcome to access my bank account etc ( not)  but good luck with that.so what can these scammers do ? Feel naive & stupid. As you can tell, I'm not IT savvy - just try & sell bits & bobs on Ebay & look on FB. x

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi mellymoo6,

Welcome to the PayPal community and I am sorry for the negative experience you have had with this transaction.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would advise you to ignore any further email from this person and forward them on to spoof@paypal.com. Then delete them from your inbox and sent items folder.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.