PayPal is blocking refund back onto my new debit card (old one expired)

MeNoLike
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again, and thanks for looking.  

Returned an item and got a refund from the dealer.  Purchased with my paypal, using my debit card.  

The debit card I used for the paypal purchase has expired and have replaced it with a new card, same account.  Have followed the directions for 'confirming' the new debit card.   Now I have a sizeable refund in my paypal account, but was expecting this amount would be forwarded to my debit card balance, as is the usual way.   Paypal form keeps asking me to add Bank Details, but have no bank details, other than my debit card details which are a matter of paypal record. 

What am I doing wrong here, please.   I have no need for a huge Paypal credit balance.   Just need to that refund back onto my new Debit card.  Yes, I realise it is not the 'same' debit card (the one that expired), but the replacement debit card for the same account, same person, same details.

Sorry to ramble here,  hope for assistance.   thank-you. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MeNoLike

Refunds automatically go back to the card used to pay for the item, if the old and new debit cards belonged to the same bank account then it should make no difference.

Having said that there are 2 reasons why it may have ended up in your balance.

1. The refund failed for some reason to transfer to your card, maybe the old card expired BEFORE you added the new one? If so then it may have 'bounced' back to your paypal balance.

2. The seller did not use the 'refund' option and 'sent' you a payment instead using the friends / family option instead of refund option.

In the UK you can only withdraw funds from your paypal balance to a linked and verified 'bank account' and not a card.

You can either leave it in your balance to spend.

You can give c.s. a call and see if they will send you a cheque (although i have not heard they provide that service in the UK).

You can 'send' the payment to a trusted family member or mate who does have their bank account linked to their paypal account, then they can give you the cash. If you use the send money > f/f option then there is no fee.

Failing that give c.s. a ring for more ideas.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MeNoLike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Kornowlass, thank-you for your quick response.  🙂 

Yes, the purchase (and subsequent refund) was with an online major music instrument dealer, who issued the refund.  It was just a straight 'refund' of the original transaction.  

Probably the only complication here is the untimely expiry of my original Debit card which expired before the refund was issued.

To be honest, I have no wish to involve friends or relatives in this transaction, although I do realise that paypal are gagging to draw bank account details of Uncle Tom Cobblers and all Smiley Happy

But oh dear, another complication.  Paypal flashed a message for me to confirm my new debit card.  Followed the instructions again, but now Paypal have sent another pair of small amounts to my Debit card account.  Shall I enter the most recent two amounts or the first pair of small amounts to confirm my debit card?  Thanks

Login to Me Too

MeNoLike
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again, 

...Meanwhile, having trouble confirming my new Debit card.  Have entered the two small amount charges and have pressed Confirm, but get this message: 

"We're sorry but unable to process your request, try again later"   Tried an hour ago and just a few minutes ago, same message.  

Question:  Do I need to repeat the whole process of registering my new Debit card, or just carry on trying to enter the most-recent small two charges? 

thank-you

Login to Me Too

MeNoLike
Contributor
Contributor

Still getting stuck on this revolving message each time I try to confirm my new Debit card: 

"We're sorry but unable to process your request, try again later" 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi MeNoLike,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

If you're confirming your card, you should find the randomly generated 4-digit PayPal code beside or near the £1 charge on your card statement. Here's how to confirm your card https://www.paypal.com/uk/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-link-and-confirm-my-credit-or-debit-card-faq1456....

If you're confirming your bank account, we'll deposit 1p in your bank account. You'll find a 4-digit code next to the 1p deposit on your statement. This should appear in your bank account within the next few minutes, but may take up to two hours, depending on your bank. Here's how to confirm your bank account https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-add-my-bank-account-to-my-paypal-account-faq686.

Intars

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.