PayPal here card reader won't read credit card

mostlybooks
Contributor
Contributor

This is the second card reader I have ordered - and the same problem has happened again.

Just for clarification:

- I have a Sony Xperia Miro Model number ST23i running Android 4.0.4

- The card reader is fully charged

- I have bluetooth switched on, and the phone has successfully paired

- The PayPal Here App starts automatically and I am able to log in successfully

- When I enter an amount and click 'charge' I am taken to the payment screen - the card reader option is green and says 'Insert Card'

- I insert the card - nothing. I have checked and double-checked that it is inserted securely. I can feel it click into place, and there is no more give.

- If I insert the card upside down, or the wrong way round I get an error on the App telling me the card is in the wrong way round - so I can tell there is correct communication between card reader and phone/App.

This is the second time this has happened and I find it difficult to believe that exactly the same technical fault in the chip reader is present.

Is there anything else I am doing wrong? I have gone through the demonstration video online and followed the instructions exactly as it says.

I would certainly appreciate someone's help on this - I've spent a lot of time trying to make this work, and I really don't want to have to send this back and order yet another card reader.

Thank you - Mark

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi mostlybooks,

Apologies for the delayed response. Has this issue been resolved?

If not, can I suggest that you remove the app & re-install it to ensure you have the most up to date version of the app? 

Here are some additional troubleshooting tips- https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/how-to-use-paypal-here#troubleshoot

Let us know how you get on,

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Phorum
Contributor
Contributor

... I would not be surprised - as I mentione in one of my posts/query - PayPal is using us to trial it without telling us!

It seems to be a common 'way' for large businesses to trial hardware/software/websites.

Having said that, I would not be surpised, they either have a batch with a 'faulty' chip-reader-socket [or maybe simply bad 'wave' soldering] or their card-capture-software is rubbish or it simply goes in 'sleep mode for some 'bad coding'!

I have seen so many of these problems everywhere these days.

I hope you can fix it and PayPal starts to 'reply' in these forums a bit 'faster' as when there are these kind of problems we 'loose' money!

I was thinking to setup a Touch screen Tablet for the customer so they cam login on PayPal and pay through thir account avoidin the card reader - neath trick?

;p]

When the card reader does not work, you just send an email with PayPal Invoice [payment request] and customer can login and pay [if they remember their login details!].

Just a thought.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.