No real buyer protection

magduspe
New Community Member

After month of waiting I received dress I have ordered. Item is much smaller than described on the website for the relevant size. Hence I filed the claim against the seller who offered me first 20%, then 40%, and the 45% refund if I keep the dress. I don't wnat to keep it, seller misrepresented the item and send it to me knowing it. I have paid cost of posting to me (about £3) and now paypal "ruled" that yes I am eligable for full refund but only if I send dress at my cost by tracking post to China! This postage cost at least £30, so in short there is no buyer protection. The seller could easily send me anything like box of old matches and I still would have to send it at my cost by tracking post to China to receive refund. Please help as I'm at the end of my wits. Dress and postage orignall cost was £18.51 and I'm happy to send it back if seller pays for return.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@magduspe

Firstly there is buyer protection but it can never be a 100% coverall. You need to read up on it so that you can risk assess your own transactions.

If you had then you would have read this  >

''PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs''.

However having said that you would have had at least 50% of those costs back if you had activated the below link on your paypal account. Once activiated it covers all subsequent transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Lastly yes you are correct they could have sent you a box of matches and thats why its best to risk assess your transactions and who you buy from. Personally no way would i buy clothes or electrical items etc internationally especially China.

If you choose to buy within the UK and you have a problem then you can resort to the small claims court, if you choose to buy internationally you don't have that option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.