New eBay seller - "can't accept payment" but no obvious problem

togarama
Contributor
Contributor

I've been tearing my hair out trying to solve this all week. Grateful for any suggestions. I've spent more on phoning PayPal than these items are actually worth and they haven't been able to solve the major problem or minor associated issues (e.g. I get a generic error message when I try to add new email addresses to my Paypal account). 

This week I've sold 2 items on eBay but both buyers keep getting the same error message that my Paypal account "can't receive payment at the moment".

I used eBay to buy a few things back in 2003-4 but never tried selling until now. I opened a Paypal account in 2004 but only verified it a couple of weeks ago. It all looks fine on the screen and when the Paypal phone operators look at it on the other end of the phone. 

• Initially, I thought the problem was that I had a different email address for eBay and Paypal. So, I changed my eBay address to match my Paypal address. No effect.
  • I issued new invoices directly from Paypal with all details correct - same problem occurred.
  • Buyer tried to send a payment from her account independently - same again.
  • Paypal advised me to clear all history on my Firefox browser (which had no effect) and to try another browser (which had no effect).
  • Looking through these forums, I thought the problem might be that I had a Personal rather than Premier account so I upgraded - same problem occurred.
  • Paypal have checked that my account is verified, the receiving limit is fine etc..

Does anyone have any ideas? I am able to pay, transfer money from my bank account and accept refunds without any problem.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_lucy

Hey there togarama,

Not sure if you have tried altering your receiving preferences. You can decide which payments you want to accept automatically, refuse automatically, or review before you accept in your payment receiving preferences.

For example, you can decide what to do when you receive a payment in a currency you don’t hold or block eCheque payments for all website payments except eBay.

Here’s how to set your payment receiving preferences:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘Payment Receiving Preferences’ under ‘Selling Preferences.’ (Don't see this step? Follow the instructions below.)
  4. Select your preference next to each of the options and click ‘Save.’

Or

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click 'My Selling Tools.'
  4. Click 'Update' beside 'Block payments' in the 'Getting paid and managing my risk' section.
Login to Me Too

togarama
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lucy

Thanks for responding.  I have now followed your advice and checked these settings but can't see any problems that should be blocking payments.

To be honest, it's helpful to get a sensible suggestion even if it didn't work - any other ideas welcomed!

I've spent so much time and money on the phone to Paypal Customer Services over the past few weeks, as well as corresponding by email. No one has managed to even identify what the problem is, never mind solve it. I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated, particularly since I now have 10 unhappy buyers and have had to cancel several transactions because of this problem. If one of the Paypal phone operators tells me one more time that the problem must be with the seller's account (all ten of them!!) or asks me if I have the correct email address on my listings ("For the millionth time, YES!!!) then I think my head will explode.

I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall and sent Paypal the para below again today stating the facts for the nth time in the hope that people won't keep making the same stupid suggestions:

"The facts now are: More than 10 separate people have the same problem in sending money to my Paypal account through any method. All of them get the same error message. All of them have functioning Paypal accounts that are working for sending payment to other people. The email adddress on the listings is correct. Ebay cannot find any problem with my eBay account. All of this makes it immensely unlikely that the problem lies anywhere other than with my Paypal account."

Someone on the eBay help site suggested that I get PayPal to close my account down and then open another one. Is this a possibility?

Help!?!!?!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey togarama,

This does sound like a strange situation.

Due to this I will contact you off line and see what can be done Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

togarama
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Lucy.

I was asked earlier this week to re-verify my Papypal account. Unfortunately, although this has now been completed,  nothing has changed. I'm still unable to receive any payments to the account from any source.

Login to Me Too

brightpsi
New Community Member

I have now given up trying to get this resolved and taken the route of closing the account and opening a new one.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey guys, this may not have to do with being “verified” as you seem to be already. If you have started to sell a little, then I would suggest that you become a “Premier” or “Business” account. The steps are below, please try that and contact us back if that made any difference.

1. Log in to your account at www.paypal.co.uk

2. On your Account Overview page, click the ‘Upgrade’ link underneath your name, near the top of the page.

3. Click ‘Upgrade Now’.

4. Choose Premier or Business account.

5. If you select Premier account, click ‘Continue’ to upgrade your account immediately.

6. If you select Business account, click ‘Continue’, and enter the requested information. • Business type - if you are not a Business you can select 'Individual' from the drop down menu. If you only use PayPal to make online payments please select 'I only send money or pay with PayPal', enter your date of birth and click 'Save'

7. Click ‘Submit’.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.