Moneygram scam?

Helencita
Contributor
Contributor
I've just sold a sofa and the buyer has said they want me to pay the removal company via moneygram so they have added an extra £310 to the payment they are sending me via paypal. I received a confirmation email supposedly from Paypal but it's not showing on my paypal account and when I reread the email it said it would not show on my Paypal account until I had paid the moneygram transfer and that i couldn't cancel the payment. Is this right or is this a scam?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Paelavong003
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Helencita,

When someone pays you using PayPal, it should all be visible on your PayPal account. If it isn't showing then Yes it is a scam.

Here are some helpful tips how you can spot a fake buyer:

1. Normally they go after an expensive or high end item.
  2. If the email notification says that you have receive funds but when you check your PayPal account it is not there then that email notification is fake.
  3. If they're asking for the item to be shipped or to make a payment to Western Union or Money Gram they are just trying to get you to send the item or pay them some money. Please do not send the item or make any payment to anyone since it is not the correct process.
  4. If the offer sounds too good to be true. For example the item cost £300 and they are paying £450 this should raise suspicion.
  5. Lastly, do not just rely on email notification because it could be fake. Anyone can easily change the From: section of the email and can copy the email format of PayPal. Always check your PayPal account by logging in to www.paypal.co.uk. Any payment that has been sent to you should show up on your PayPal account whatever the status is.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Paelavong

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Helencita

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping the 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union.

Also their is no seller protection on items collected so DO NOT use paypal, cash on collection only is my advice.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Paelavong003
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Helencita,

When someone pays you using PayPal, it should all be visible on your PayPal account. If it isn't showing then Yes it is a scam.

Here are some helpful tips how you can spot a fake buyer:

1. Normally they go after an expensive or high end item.
  2. If the email notification says that you have receive funds but when you check your PayPal account it is not there then that email notification is fake.
  3. If they're asking for the item to be shipped or to make a payment to Western Union or Money Gram they are just trying to get you to send the item or pay them some money. Please do not send the item or make any payment to anyone since it is not the correct process.
  4. If the offer sounds too good to be true. For example the item cost £300 and they are paying £450 this should raise suspicion.
  5. Lastly, do not just rely on email notification because it could be fake. Anyone can easily change the From: section of the email and can copy the email format of PayPal. Always check your PayPal account by logging in to www.paypal.co.uk. Any payment that has been sent to you should show up on your PayPal account whatever the status is.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Paelavong

Login to Me Too

Helencita
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your responses, they were very helpful. I will now ignore this person.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.