How do i cancel an 'uncleared' echeque?

Tommc34
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so I tried purchasing something off a website, not realising i had 0 funds in my paypal account balance so I guess rather than instantly paying the site, paypal has given them an echeque on behalf of my bank. Now this takes 5-7 working days to clear, which is much longer than i anticipated that i'd have to wait!

So my question is! After i've now added funds to my Paypal account, i want to cancel this echeque and then pay the site directly as my paypal account now has the correct balance.

Ty for reading, hope you can help 🙂

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

gsxr2016
New Community Member

Hi Dian,

I have the same problem in that I sent an eCheck without realizing it, and in order to pay faster the seller cancelled the payment the same day. I paid again directly from my bank account without realizing that PayPal would withdraw both payments anyway.

Three days later the seller received BOTH payments from PayPal, and the status on the first payment says that she cancelled the payment (under canceled, the definition says that "the payment was cancelled and the money is in your paypal balance", which it obviously isn't). The seller said that she refunded the payment and sent me a screenshot.

Further, there is no "refund" status displayed on my PayPal page, just the cancelled transaction. Does the same still apply as in Tommc34?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi gsxr2016,

Normally when a bank payment is made and then it is cancelled by the recipient it can take several days for this refund to process back to your account. If it does not appear within a couple of days I recommend reaching out to us via Twitter or Facebook.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Ehix27
New Community Member
Had same thing happen how long did it take to get money returned?
Login to Me Too

New Community Member

Can the seller regret after they cancelled the echeck?

Login to Me Too

maldonado2665

how  can a seller can

cell a uncleared echeque refund 

Login to Me Too

scribbler24
New Community Member

This is so annoying. I only set Paypal to receive funds as a couple of years ago I was philshed for £400 and it took 2 months to get the money back.  I have just purchased a couple of items from a Swiss site and have no idea why it has gone as an eCheque. I purchased from them last week and paid with my debit card....This is going to mean at least 7 days before my payment has cleared. Are we living in the 19th Century......

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi Tommc34,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

A payment will be sent as an eCheque if your PayPal balance is not enough to cover the payment and you don’t have a card and a bank linked to your account.

With eCheques, your bank account will be debited when the payment is initiated. However, the recipient will typically receive the money 4 - 5 working days later.

To see the status of your eCheque payment:

1. Go to Activity.
  2. Use the date range, 'Advanced search' options or the keyword search box to find the payment and then check the status.
  • Cleared: The transfer to the recipient has completed.
  • Uncleared: The transaction is still processing from the bank.
  • Failed: We were unable to obtain the money from your bank so the payment to the recipient hasn't completed.
  • Canceled: You've canceled the eCheque. If you cancel an eCheque the money will still be debited from your bank account but will be credited to your PayPal account balance.

You can see the expected clearing date of your eCheque on the Transaction Details page. Just click the payment in your Activity.

To make an Instant Bank Transfer, we usually require you to have a valid debit or credit card registered to your PayPal account, as well as your bank account. To help avoid future payments being sent as eCheques, if you haven't done so already, add a debit or credit card to your PayPal account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
  2. Click Wallet at the top of the page.
  3. Click Link a card.
  4. Enter the required information and click Save.

Hope this helps,

Intars

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.