Can Paypal access my credit card for fees or negative balance

briandavison
Contributor
Contributor

I sold my car, then the buyer did the "unauthorised card transaction scam on me. I now have a very large negative balance having withdrawn the funds to buy another. I hope the case will be resolved in my favour, but as paypal did not even give me chance to response, I expect it will need me going to court against the buyer. Meanwhile, when they make thier decision, can they then dip into my credit card or bank and colect the negative balance they have on hold now? Or must they ask me to upload the money?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@briandavison

They can't dip into your funding sources without your authorisation BUT if you go to buy something using paypal then they will ''add'' that debt on to anything you buy via paypal as you would be authorising that payment....sneaky heh?

But they may limit your use of your paypal account and phone you and send you emails telling you to clear the balance, if you do not after a ''period of time'' (and i do not know how long that is) then they ''sell'' the debt to a debt recovery company to collect.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

briandavison
Contributor
Contributor

HI There,

If they did that - Say my autosport subscription went out for £5 and they charged £285 instead to cover for the chareback they have given away, would that not count as an unauthorised transaction? If I called my bank and told them I'd authorised £5 and they took an extra £280?

The debt collector scam is becoming increasingly popular now with companies. Instead of handling a dispute properly, or taking you to court,  they sell the "debt" to a debt collector, who will keep harrasing you. We get loads for the previous tennant, (the house was let before we bought it) the funniest being from a company called "Wright Hassal" - try saying it out loud - they really exist.

The only time I've had one after me was over one of these firms that offer you an item, then keep sending you them every month -I cancelled and kept a copy of the letter telling them that anything that arrived after that was unsolicited, and although they were not entitled to it back they could arrange to colect it if they wish -they tried it three more months running - most reckon they can get away with around £30  -people will pay for the sake fo peace.
I refused, and when the debt letters came I simply told them to take me to the small claims court, where I wouls show that the debt was not owed, since it related to an unresolved dispute -never heard from them again...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.