Can I Use Credit Card before Bank Account?

bitsnbobs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Newbie Here,

I would like to know if I can have my Credit Card as the 1st call for my Paypal account instead of the money being taken from my Bank Account? If so how do I acheive this please? My account is both confirmed and verified. I am sure I used to have this set up but for some reason all the monies are being taken from my Bank instead of my Credit Card. The reason I would prefer it this way is that my money stays in the Bank longer. So if I purchase something at the beginning of the month I don't have to pay my CC bill until the following month, therfore giving me as long as 8 weeks before I pay for it, if you get my meaning. I am not a miser I just like to keep my hard earned money as long as I can. lol 🙂

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

garyc
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it certainly does, thanks!

Login to Me Too

bitsnbobs
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, Why don't you make it so your customers have the choice of pecking order themselves. Once we (your customers) have registered and verified a credit/debit card and bank details why not let us choose as to which of these we wish to pay with immediately after PayPal balance of course? It would save us time if it was set up from the beginning which way we wish to pay, rather than having to remember to change to the way we wish to pay. Sometimes we (your customers) don't always have the funds readily available in our bank accounts at the time of purchase, so it's easier to pay through the credit card route. I am sure it cannot be that difficult to change your terms and conditions/rules to accommodate us (your customers) for a change. After all if it was not for us (your customers) you would not have a business. So come on you guys at the top of the tree, earn your salaries and your big fat bonuses, and give us (your customers) a helping hand by lisentening to what we are saying, taking it on board and change the system. Thank you in advance.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there,

On any of your payments, If you want to change the funding method, click ‘Change’ under Payment Method and then you select where the funds come from Smiley Happy

Wayne

Login to Me Too

TunnylaneTom
New Community Member

Wayne

This is not the case. I just did a transaction and the only change options I was offered were PayPal Balance or e-cheque.

How do you get to select your credit cards?

TTom

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hey!

Is it still happening or was it a one off payment?

Wayne

Login to Me Too

AgentZoonie
Contributor
Contributor

I've never had the option to change, once my bank account was verified that was it.  My cards were still showing registered, but not available as a choice.

I finally got the issue solved by telephoning and waiting while a customer service operator went in to the account to change it manually for me.

Hope that helps.

Login to Me Too

Anupheaus
New Community Member

Can someone please re-open this thread (or unselect the selected solution) because firstly, the question is not answered properly by PayPal because the only answer given is a way to change the source during a transaction, not the default source and secondly, the solution selected for this thread is actually someone asking the same question, it does not actually give a solution or answer to the OP's question.

Login to Me Too

AgentZoonie
Contributor
Contributor

I solved it myself in the end by telephoning Pay Pal. 

It took a few tries to impress upon them that I wanted to return to the credit card choice as the default position, but they did something at their end with my account and it's been ok since.

Nothing I could do selecting options on the account made any difference.

So, the answer is to call customer services.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Welcome to our Community Forum Anupheas and good to hear from you again AgentZoonie 🙂

Sorry for any confusion here. 

I'm afraid it's not possible to choose the funding hierarchy on your PayPal account.

If you're sending a PayPal payment, we'll always use any available money in your PayPal balance to fund the payment.

If you don't have enough money in your balance, we'll try to take the money from your bank account. If you haven't added a bank account to your PayPal account, we'll try to take the money from a linked card instead.

You can always change your payment method during the checkout flow but your default payment preferences will always follow the process listed above.

I hope that makes sense and apologies for any inconvenience this causes,

Conor

Login to Me Too

ajtbc

Conor

It appears that PayPal is deliberately ignoring a repeated request from MANY PayPal users. Requests for this feature go back to 2003!

We do NOT want to have to select our credit card every single time we make a transaction. We want to select it once and for all.

In my case, each time I forget to make that selection (which PayPal does not remind me to make), my bank charges me about $50 in fees if there is not enough money in the account. Yikes!

We get it that PayPal doesn't want to pay the credit card fees on transactions. But the current implementation of this feature is financially punitive to your users, many of whom are solopreneurs. It's time to fix this.

ajt

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.